Chapter 9: The Letter Is A Bittersweet Dream

Today was like any ordinary day for me. A day of work and no play, like it has been all my life. The room was quiet, the work was draining, and my mood was low. Although I learned to throw my feelings away, I can often feel that sliver of emotions creeping back into my heart. I bury my head within the stacks of contracts while pushing all those unnecessary thoughts to the back of my mind. In the middle of my thought process, a knock came from the door.

Here we go again..

"Duke Vasilis?"

"Come in." The door opened to reveal one of the messengers that delivered my letters. My eyes never strayed from the paperwork in front of me. It was the hundredth time this poor messenger had made his trip to my office just to deliver letters. If he were annoyed with whoever was sending me so much messages, he doesn't show it, instead his face is blank as he routinely walks over to my desk, presenting what he had.

"This came in for you." I quickly glance at the letter in his hands before looking back to my paper with a sigh.

"You may leave it with the others." I wave to the side where the mountain of unopened letters remained. All these letters arriving within three days of sheltering myself from the outside world. The messenger looks at the pile before looking down at the letter.

"This letter seems to be of importance." I look up to see him glancing occasionally to the seal. I follow his sight to the purple seal and blink in surprise.

"I see, thank you." I take the letter and dismiss him. I watch patiently as he walks out the room. He turns back to close the door, giving me a final bow. When the door closes and the footsteps fade away, I sweep all the scrolls to the side, making sure the desk is clear before carefully opening the letter. I'm greeted with a paper filled with fancy, yet messy, handwriting.

I begin to read.

'Dearest papa,

I hope you are well? I most certainly am. Although it's been only fourteen moons, a lot has changed ever since. I've warmed up considerably to the servants, enough to have them talk my ear off every morning and night. There's two maids that stay by my side every day, Rosy and Penelope. Rosy is outgoing and very talkative whereas Penelope is rather shy and quiet, the complete opposite of Rosy. They accompany me to tend to the garden every morning. I know how special it is to you so I've decided to make sure every single plant is taken care of. I've also met a blue fish in the garden fountain that I find rather interesting. His attitude is rather nasty though, I recommend to not get too close. I've also decided to try new things, such as new foods and cutting my hair. No drastic changes worth worrying over, it's rather a refreshing change. I also found this book that was quite interesting, but it's the only book I'm currently reading. I don't really have any time for books these days since I've decided to find a tutor.. for sword lessons and such. I've went over the advantages of having sword lessons and realized it would do me a lot good, just in case. Anyways, have your time in the palace been as good as mine? Anything interesting happened? Is your work too troubling? Have you been stressed out from the King? I hope you don't stress over too much. It's simply not good for your health. I also hope you don't worry about me, I'm really doing well. Well.. I would prefer you to be here. I wish with all my heart for you to come back home soon. I miss you dearly and can't stand the loneliness that settles deep within my chest. I hope that you don't take to long.

Love, your darling daughter Calista'

I take a few moments before I leaned back into my chair, lips pursed together. It was a lot to take in and felt almost like a dream, a bittersweet dream. It couldn't be true but my daughter is not one to tell lies.