34

Elowen nodded her head, saying small words of departure to the guests that were choosing to leave.

Others were remaining at the castle for extended weeks, hoping to make alliances and treaties or obtain an audience with the King. Elowen grimaced at those and smiled at the ones who were choosing to set off now.

Among them, she saw the dark suits of the Galexious guards. Involuntarily, Elowen felt her eyes go to Theros to see his reaction.

The Galexious Kingdom had planned to stay longer, however, events seemed to be stacked against them. The news of their Queen expecting, her now acquired injury, and the revolts that were taking place with the royalties absence- all required them to return two weeks earlier than intended.

Elowen did not know what she felt at this. It seemed the castle came alive with her presence. The unexpected occurred, and the guards wore a constant look of wary apprehension- even inside the palace walls. Elowen agreed with them. There was never a dull moment with the Galexious Queen.

She watched them now.

Queen Lumikki's shoulder was still bandaged. A red cloak had been draped over her shoulders, the breeze slightly tugging at the hem to show the black strapless dress underneath. Elowen felt like rolling her eyes at the sight of the dress but knew the choice must have been done due to the large bulk of bandages.

In a way, she matched her husband. Both figures wore black as they approached the Winter King and Queen. Elowen felt a shiver run through her when she saw the claw marks that stood out on Queen Lumikki's dark skin.

Theros reached out, his hand extending, and to Elowen's shock, he pinched the red material of the cloak she wore.

"I gave you this."

Elowen felt her eyes of panic go to the watching husband. But his features gave nothing away as he took in the interaction.

Queen Lumikki only laughed and swatted at Theros' hand.

"I thought so. Jodi said she had, but I questioned how she was able to find something as rare as this in the kitchen."

Elowen's gaze flickered between the two. There was something different. Something lighter. She felt uneasy. Did something happen between them? They must have reconnected...it was the only thing she could think of, and the thought made her heart still in a frozen slumber.

"Thank you for attending our wedding," Theros was still speaking. Elowen heard his voice vaguely now in the background. But his rare gesture of grouping the two of them together brought her senses back.

The Galexious King nodded his head, "of course. I will maintain contact and arrange for a renewal of the treaty. In the meantime, hopefully, the situation along the border can be resolved....peacefully."

"Yes..." Theros seemed to muse this word out loud before he let whatever else he wanted to say go.

Elowen nodded her head, unsure of what else to say. She wanted the two of them gone so that she could forget how she felt in this moment.

But they still were not moving. She looked up and saw that the Galexious King and Queen seemed to be having a silent battle as they both stared at one another. Finally, after a long minute, the King sighed and turned to look at a guard that was behind him.

"Bring the damn thing," he said, shaking his head when he caught sight of his smiling Queen.

Elowen looked at Theros, and for once they seemed to be in agreement as they both looked at each other in confusion.