Breach the surface

As Trollex made his way back towards Volcano rock city, he hoped he had at least a day to discuss things with Barb. He didn't plan to keep the Dark Ambient trolls here, but it was the only place he could think of with plenty of space to spare and land to share. Besides, it was close enough to the ancestral home of the Dark Ambient anyway.

He just hoped that the other leaders wouldn't be too angry with him. He didn't regret his decision, or his desire to help those trolls, but even still, he had to admit he jumped the gun, and now had no idea where they'd live.

He paused as he floated past a bush, hearing a conversation from the other side. He slipped into the bush, wanting to find out what was happening.

"Barb's been going crazy Riff, you gotta do something! You're one of her closest friends!" He recognized that voice! It was Queen Poppy! He glanced through the leaves, spotting Poppy and Riff sitting on the pebbled beach. Riff was hugging his knees to his chest, tugging at and wringing his hat he held in his hands, allowing his sloppy hair to fall any which way.

Poppy looked tired, which was a shock to see. In the short time he'd known her, Trollex had never seen Poppy look so drained. Riff let out a quiet whine, biting his hat. "There's nothing I can do, Queen Poppy... She's anxious after what Beat told us. The other leaders are on their way, and thanks to her stress, she's been snapping at everyone... There's no way I can let her greet everyone, but I don't think I can do it!"

She sighed, rubbing the back of her head. "I know, Riff... I still can't believe it... a whole tribe of trolls no one ever even knew was there, and Trollex and so many Techno trolls are trapped down there, with no way out..."

Trollex decided it was time to make his presence known. "Well, not entirely." He slipped out of the bushes, grinning at Poppy as he held his arms out. "Did you miss me, guys?"

He had expected some surprise, sure, and heck, even some anger! But... dead silence and an awkward stare he was not prepared for. He deflated a little bit, his brow arching curiously. "Uhhh... guys?"

Poppy stood slowly, staring at him. "Trollex...? I thought... we'd never see you again..."

Her voice seemed to have broken the trance over Riff, and he leapt to his feet as though he'd sat on a log. "BARB!" He ran off, screaming Barb's name excitedly. Clearly he was on his way to let Barb know he was back.

Poppy, on the other hand, looked like someone had dunked her in sparkles. She leapt forward, catching him in a hug that would have popped a jellyfish. He laughed, hugging her back and spinning them both up into the air.

She laughed, shrieking excitedly as she clung to him. Once they had greeted each other in what could only be called the most Pop way ever, they sat together on the beach, looking out over the ocean as Trollex told her about his time in the Abyss.

"So wait, let me get this straight, there really IS a whole race of trolls down there, and... they've been mixing with other tribes since before the strings? Whoa... Trollex you're amazing! When you first came to Pop village, you could barely shake a troll's hand, and you just found a whole tribe! But... I thought that no one could get out of that place, that's why Beat had to come."

Trollex nodded a bit, stretching out his fins on the warm pebbles. "Yeah, but apparently there really was something I could do. I faced off against a really creepy shadow thing, punched it a few times, and ended up out here! I sent the Guardian back with my shell to help everyone get up here... I don't know how long it'll take them to be ready, but I told the Guardian to bring them to the beach here. I hope I hope I at least have time to warn Barb."