Chapter 5

Emmett stared at her face for a second and a wave of recognition passed over his face, but he didn't let his guard down. "Lex?"

"Hey," she replied awkwardly, drawing out the vowel in her single word reply. 

She was seriously starting to regret leaving the basement. Maybe she should have tried to find out more about what was going on before she just took off. Lex had always been the type of person who thought things through before acting, unless she was overwhelmed by emotion, in which case, all bets were off until she calmed down. That's how she had gotten into this mess— every bad choice that had led up to this moment had been based on her emotions. 

Maybe she was better off with Riley. 

Sure, Riley had been a lying abusive asshole towards all of them, and the others would've probably tried to take her head off by now, but at least the would be safe from the stinky bear-dogs and her former lab partner.

The rest of the Cullens, having heard both the sounds of the wolves howling and the scuffle with Emmett that had followed, sped over to see what was going on.

Lex knew that she could get him off of her if she wanted to— she was strong, and she had just fed a couple of days ago. But she decided that it was best to let him stay in control of the current situation. She was outnumbered after all, and she honestly meant them no harm. Lex decided that she would only act if she absolutely needed to.

Emmett looked to Carlisle. "What do you want me to do?" he asked. He was honestly stumped. She wasn't being violent, and they knew her. Was it safe for them to let her live? Was it unethical for them to kill her? 

"Edward, what are your thoughts on the matter?" Carlisle asked the brooding teenager. 

"She doesn't want to hurt anyone," Edward said matter of factly. "She hasn't thought about Victoria at all, so I think it would be safe to infer that she is not in allegiance with the newborn army, but she was definitely with them at some point."

Victoria? Army? What was Edward talking about? Lex wondered.

"I can say definitively that she has no idea what's going on," Edward corrected his earlier statement.

How did he know everything she was thinking? She didn't like it.

"Please," Lex spoke. "If you just let me go, I promise I won't bother any of you again."

"Carlisle," a short pixie like girl spoke— Lex vaguely remembered her name to be Alice. "I've just seen her— with yellow eyes. She's supposed to stay with us."

Alice flashed Lex a knowing smile, and Edward furrowed his brow as he looked between Lex and an extremely beautiful blonde girl. Lex was having trouble placing a name to the face though— she didn't think that she had ever spoken to the blonde girl when she had still been human. Certainly Lex would've remembered if she had. Someone like her had no business being forgotten.

"I see," Carlisle said to Alice. He turned to face Lex. "We would officially like to extend an invitation to our coven. I'm sure that you've noticed that the color of our eyes differs from your own. This is because our coven feeds on animal blood instead of human blood. If you wish to join us, you will need to follow the same diet, and live peacefully among humans. If you choose decline our offer, we will have to politely ask that you leave Forks."

"Animal blood?" Lex repeated. Riley had never said anything about animal blood. Lex had been torn apart by her guilt from killing humans, and now she was finding out that there was a fucking alternative the entire fucking time? That son of a bitch!