Chapter 9

The sound of a mvoie filled the Cullen family's living room. Lex and Rosalie were sat together on the couch. Lex was leaning against the arm rest of the couch, and Rosalie was using her as a pillow.

Ever since they had kissed, their relationship had gotten a lot more touchy-feely than it had been. They weren't really into PDA in front of the rest of their coven— it was too weird— but they weren't opposed to holding hands or cuddling in the shared living spaces.

Lex mindlessly ran her fingers through Rosalie's luscious hair. The blonde girl sighed in contentment at the action, and immediately snuggled closer to the dark haired girl. 

The end credits began to roll down the television screen, but neither of the girls made any move to get up.

"Are you sure I should be there tomorrow?" Lex asked worriedly for the thousandth time that day.

"Carlisle thinks that you should be there," Rosalie replied. "You need to know how to protect yourself when Victoria comes."

"But Bella—" Lex began.

"Won't get hurt," Rosalie cut her off. "If you so much as think about hurting her, Edward will know, and we'll hold you off. You have more control than you think."

"I just haven't really been around humans that I wasn't... you know," Lex muttered shamefully. "Feeding from."

"Look, we'll go hunting in a few hours, and make sure that you're extra well-fed," Rosalie declared. "Plus those disgusting mutts will be there— nothing ever smells appetizing around them."

"Okay..." Lex conceded uncertainly. She still wasn't convinced that this was a good idea— her eyes hadn't even finished transitioning to the brilliant shade of ocre that came with feeding off of animals. While her irises were no longer a piercing scarlet, they were an orange shade of amber that was growing closer to yellow with each animal she drank.

"Love, I'm serious," Rosalie sat up to meet Lex's eye level. "You've got this, and I will be right there with you the entire time. Everything is going to be okay."

Lex nodded. She was still nervous— she didn't want to mess up— but Rosalie's reassurances helped to soothe her mind. Everything felt so much better when Rosalie was around.

"What's she like? Edward's human?" Lex asked curiously. She didn't know much about the girl that they were fighting so hard to protect. Sure, she remembered a few things from going to Forks High with Bella— she was Chief Swan's daughter, and she was almost humorously clumsy— but Lex had been in a grade below Bella and the Cullens, so she didn't remember that much about the human girl. 

Rosalie rolled her eyes. 

"That bad, huh?" Lex replied.

"She doesn't understand what she's getting herself into," Rosalie sighed in frustration. "She's actually choosing to become a vampire. Do you know what I would give to be a human again? To be able to have children of my own? She's throwing that all away to live out some silly teenage fantasy."

"Ro, I'm so sorry," Lex murmured sadly as she reached out to cup Rosalie's cheek in her hand. "I wish I could give you those things..." she trailed off.

"I'm not trying to imply that you aren't enough for me," Rosalie assured her as she grabbed the hand that had been on her cheek. "You will always be the best thing in my life. I just had dreams that aren't compatible with being a vampire, and I don't think that I will ever truly get over them."

"I get it," Lex told her. And she really did— she had to give up her own dreams of having a career and a family and growing old with her partner. "You had something really important stolen from you. You don't need to apologize to me for having feelings."