Prologue

You stood nervously in front of the gym doors. Just on the other side, you could hear the grunts of determination trying to keep the ball up. The sound rang in your ears, intimidating you.

Why did I ever agree to sign up as manager? you thought, regretting your decision in this instance.

Kaori rested her hands on your shoulder and smiled reassuringly at you. "It's fine, (N/N)-chan! Everyone is extremely chill, you will be friends with them in no time."

Yukie nodded lazily in agreement. "Let's go in now," she said, yawning.

You nodded timidly and opened the gym doors. A wave of perspiration hit your nose, reminding you of PE classes.

A game was already in session. On the sidelines, Coach Yamiji was eyeing the practice match intently, taking notes of their performance.

"YESSS! AGAASHIII! Did you see my spike?" yelled out a black and white-haired, golden eye male. "Did you, did you?"

"Yes, Bokuto-san, I did see that spike," replied the black-haired, emerald eye male. "It was amazing. We should try to do it again."

"SURE AGAASHIII!" yelled Bokuto. "This is why I am— eh? Who is the pretty girl next to Yukkipe and Kaori?"

Akaashi shrugged, looking at you over his shoulder. "I don't know, Bokuto-san," he answered. "I'm sure Suzumeda-san and Shirofuku-san will introduce her to us later. We should concentrate on practising now."

Bokuto pouted. "You're no fun at all," he said childishly. "We can practise later! I want to know who the girl is now!"

Akaashi exhaled, running a hand through his hair. It was at times like this that Bokuto really got on his nerves and made his arbitrary mood swings hard to accustom to.

"Don't worry about him," said a person standing next to Akaashi, the slightest amusement in his voice. "Let Bokuto be Bokuto."

"I suppose you are right, Konoha-san."

"He will come back soon to spike, you know, 'I have to show the world I'm the ace!' That sort of motivation," added a shorter male with spiky, brown hair. "Especially to try impress the new girl."

The tiniest smile appeared on Akaashi's face thinking about the loud, unpredictable tendencies of Bokuto who was running towards you.

"Hey, hey, hey! What's your name? Who are you? Why are you here?" he asked all at once, flailing his arms around your face.

You took a step back, feeling intimidated by Bokuto towering over you despite your 5'7 frame.

"Bokuto-san," called out Akaashi, jogging towards the both of you. "Don't yell at her. It's obvious that you're overwhelming her with all your questions."

Bokuto's eyes drooped. "I'm sorry!"

You let out a soft giggle. Bokuto's eyes lit up, flashing with excitement. "AH, SHE LAUGHED!"

Akaashi snorted. "She can laugh if she wants, Bokuto-san, she's human like us."

"Anyway," interjected Kaori, "we have a new manager starting today!"

Bokuto's eyes sparkled even more. "Manager? I have to tell Kuroo this! He would be so jealous we have three now!"

You bowed before introducing yourself. "I'm (L/N) (F/N), a second-year from Class 2-5. You can call me (N/N). Please take care of me!"

"Well, (N/N)-chan, I am the ace of the volleyball club. Call me Bokuto!"

"Nice to meet you, Bokuto-senpai," you said, bowing once more.

He grinned. "Ah, she called me senpai! AGAASHI! Let's practise now!" he shouted, running back to the net. "I need to show (N/N)-chan my awesome skills!"

Konoha tittered in the background.

Akaashi sighed. "I'm sorry if Bokuto-san frightened you," he apologised. "He's usually like this, you eventually do become accustomed to it."

You couldn't help but stifle your laugh. "Ah, so he has the mentality of a five-year-old," you said frankly, a subtle smirk on your face.

Both Kaori and Yukie doubled over, clutching their stomachs as they wheezed in laughter along with the rest of the team, excluding Akaashi.

"Perhaps you could say that," he replied after a while, a hint of a smile of his lips.

"Eh, AGAASHI!!! Don't gang up on me with (N/N)-chan!" whined Bokuto, crossing his arms in a child-like mannger. "You guys are both mean!"

Now you burst into laughter. "You remind me of my little cousin, Bokuto."

Not to anyone's surprise in the volleyball team, tears started welling in Bokuto's eyes.

"I'm not an ace if people see me like this! I'm never going to play volleyball again!" he exclaimed. "Akaashi, don't toss to me anymore!"

"Okay," came his blunt reply.

"Wait...what?"

"Please calm down in the time that I'm not tossing to you," stated Akaashi plainly.

Bokuto's tantrum resumed. "Why do you guys treat an ace like this?"

He ran to one of the corners of the gym, sniffling as he mumbled how cruel Akaashi was for influencing the pretty (N/N)-chan.

Seeing this, you couldn't help laugh even more. The edges of Akaashi's mouth turned up slightly.

"I forgot to introduce myself," he said, turning around to face you. "I'm Akaashi Keiji, also a second-year; vice-captain and setter of the team. Nice to meet you, (L/N)-san."

You returned the smile, albeit yours was much more distinct. "Nice to meet you too, Akaashi-san. I hope we can ge—"

"(N/N)-chan, come over here!" exclaimed Kaori. "Stop flirting with Akaashi!"

"We need to introduce you to the other members," added Yukie.

A blush covered your face. "I wasn't flirting with Akaashi-san!"

"Sure you weren't," drawled Yukie as Kaori eyed you pointedly.

Akaashi met your eyes. A shiver rushed through your body at his intense gaze.

His eyes are really pretty...you thought.

"See you later, (L/N)-san," he said, turning around to walk over to Bokuto.

Your heart couldn't stop racing.

And that was the beginning of your growing crush on Akaashi.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Let's all appreciate how perfect Akaashi is otherwise what are you doing reading this book lmao. He truly is a pretty setter. 😌💅✨✨