Chapter 51

3000+ words!! Enjoy :)

LI: The monster

The wind whistles in my ears as I dive downwards, focusing my vision on the one figure falling down just out of my reach. I spur myself on, tucking my wings in so that I can get to him faster. Any slower, and he would hit the ground before I could save him.

Closer, closer, closer... and then, he's right below me. I circle him, bringing him into my arms as we plummet downwards. Wind whips at my hair and I can make out the tops of trees down below, meaning we were falling straight into a forest. At the last moment, I open my wings, trying to have a soft landing. Even then, the landing's a bit rough, and we slide about ten meters before we stumble to a stop. Luckily, the grass acts as a nice carpet underneath us. Sharp pieces of rock and dirt rain down from above, and I cover Jungkook's body with my own, shielding him from the worst of the pain. It wasn't bad, considering that the thick canopy above us blocked out most of the rock.

Once I feel that no more is coming, I cautiously detach myself from Jungkook's body, taking a good look at him. His eyes are closed, and he must have lost consciousness in the middle of the fall because he doesn't react when I shake him. He has scratches and cuts all over his body, but nothing seems to be broken. I let out a sigh of relief, before I realize what I've done. Why had I felt the desperate urge to go after him? Why not just let him die? Before I can pummel myself with questions, I realize something strange.

Jungkook is shivering. His body curls up into a ball, and he pulls his knees to his chest. No wonder. This forest is much colder than the cliff we had fallen from, due to the fact that the trees blocked out most of the sun. Even though no sun was a good thing for most vampires, the numbing cold made up for it. Even I was starting to feel chilly through my thick cloak. Jungkook, in his loose garments perfect for fending off the heat of the fires, are in turn deadly in the cold air.

I hesitate, wondering what I should do. My hands move wearily over his body, not wanting to touch him in case I do anything wrong. I'm no good at this. Every cell in my body is made to fight and kill. Not taking care of freezing people out in the open. Who did I know that was good at caring for people?

Taehyung. Yes, Jungkook's soulmate. If anyone could help me, it was him. He wouldn't want to see Jungkook cold any more than I did, that's for certain.

Taehyung, I need your help, I admit grudgingly. We've fallen off a cliff, and now we're stuck in a forest. Jungkook's cold, and I don't know what to do. Any tips?

Jimin, Taehyung whispers. Jimin's... gone? He sounds almost confused. And Yoongi. Both of them. Gone, just like that. You promised me that if I gave you control, everyone I cared for would be spared. And now my best friend and deputy are dead. How do you plan to right that wrong?

It was true that I did indeed make a promise to him. And I had broken it. 

I didn't intend for it to happen, I say. My arrow was supposed to hit Alastair. Not Jimin. And the collapsing building was my fault too, I admit that. I just didn't know Yoongi was still inside. But listen, right now, we have more pressing things to worry about. I need your help for something.

Silence.

Tell me what I should do. When he still doesn't respond, I grit my teeth. Listen, I have no idea how to take care of an unconscious person. Especially an unconscious person shivering from the cold. If you don't want your soulmate to die of hypothermia, then I suggest you put your grief aside for a second and help me.

This seems to stir something in him, and I can feel him come out of his shell of grief. Taking one look at Jungkook seems to harden his resolve. I was right when I thought he wouldn't want to see him freezing in the cold air.