Chapter 54

Sorry for the late update, but I'm hooked on this new book series, and it's great! It's called "The mortal instruments," if any of you have heard of it. 

BTW, if you read that series, you should know that I wholeheartedly love Alec Lightwood and Magnus Bane's relationship! :)

LIV: Jungkook

The monster's hand is uncharacteristically tight around mine as he leads us through the flower fields and grass all shining silver in the moonlight. The landscape is unassuming, deceptive, and somehow, that makes it scarier than before. I don't know what's going to happen.

"Do you remember this memory?" I ask him as we walk through a patch of purple flowers.

"I have my suspicions," The monster answers tonelessly. But I don't miss how his black wings ruffle themselves nervously. I inch closer to him, and he squeezes my hand.

Suddenly, the cracking and breaking of wood sounds from our left, and in an instant, the monster has pushed me behind him, his scimitar drawn. But the fiery red haze in the distance isn't from any kind of animal.

It's from a fire. The monster tenses, and as we draw closer, I can see that it's none other than a house on fire. It's so badly burnt that I can't make out the shape or design, but I know what this is. I know this memory. 

A beautiful red-haired vampire emerges from the burning house, with a young brown-haired girl holding her hand. Both are coughing, and soot covers their faces. I hear the monster take a sharp intake of breath beside me. I recognize the young girl: Lisa. Which meant that the red-head must be...

"Mother!" Lisa gasps, collapsing on the ground and gulping in mouthfuls of clean air. "Are you alright?"

The redhead nods, coughing her lungs out. Her hair is covered with flecks of ash and her dress is singed. As she looks around, I can tell she's searching for something. Or someone.

"Jaehwan!" The woman turns back to the burning wreckage, her face contorted in horror. "Your father, is he still inside?" When Lisa's eyes widen, the woman gets to her feet, intent on going back inside.

"Mother, no!" Lisa cries. "It's too dangerous. Taehyung will be back any minute now. Let's wait for him. He can try and subdue the flames. Fire is one of his powers, after all."

Her mother turns to look at her, and an expression of love and sadness crosses her face, along with something much deeper. She leans down and kisses Lisa on the head, hugging her for just a second. "Lisa," her voice is firm, but soft at the same time. "I can't have your brother risking his life to save us. You two are the light of our lives, and I absolutely forbid him going into danger. Let me do this. This is my task. You two will understand when you are older, the power of love." Despite Lisa's protests, the woman runs towards the house, wrenching the door open and disappearing inside. The door shuts behind her with an eerily final clang. Lisa sits in silence for a moment, staring at the door through which her mother entered. But she doesn't wait alone for long.

"LISA!" A new voice yells, and a figure runs into view, skidding to a stop in front of the burning house. Taehyung, still wearing his Bloodcrest uniform with about ten different weapons on his person, kneels next to his sister. His eyes are horrified as he gazes at her soot-covered face and singed tunic, and his wind-blown hair is mussed.

"Lisa?" Taehyung takes Lisa by the shoulders and shakes her. "How did this happen? Where is mother and father? Where are they?"

Lisa shakily points to the still burning house, her eyes hollow. "They're―they're still in there. Father was trapped, and mother―" She swallows. "Mother ran back to save him."