Chapter 14

Rowan's POV

Sophia seems to be lost in thought, not enjoying the cuddles as much as she usually does. "Are you okay? You seem to be thinking pretty hard about something."

She looks at me, tears in her eyes, making me worry. I cup my hands on her cheeks, looking her in the eye. "You can tell me anything, I won't judge. I just want to be here for you."

Nodding, she puts her hands over mine. She just stares for a while, making me think she isn't going to talk, but I'm soon surprised to hear her small voice. "I think... I want to tell you about my parents. I want somebody else to know about them."

"Okay, love." We both get comfortable, her head on my chest once more.

"Ever since I was a little girl, all I can remember are the walls of my house. I was never allowed to leave or try out things normal kids do. The only reason I know what other kids do is because of the books I used to read." She takes a deep breath before starting again. "Other kids got to hang out with friends and ride bikes. They got to laugh and enjoy themselves. I never got that."

My heart breaks for my mate, knowing how much was kept from her as a child. She continues on, "My parents tried to make life as enjoyable as they could, but it was never enough. I always longed for something more."

I hear sniffles, making me pull her even closer to me. "My parents... they loved me. With all their heart. They must've had a reason for hiding me away like they did, but I don't know it. But now, they are gone, and I will never know. They are gone."

Rubbing her back soothingly, I stay quiet while she sobs her heart out. Hearing her cries make me want to protect her just like her parents did, not wanting her to be exposed to such hardships. I kind of understand what they did, even if I don't agree with it.

Once she calms down a bit, she decides to keep talking. "I was so lonely, having only my parents to talk to. But one day, I decided I would find a friend. And I did. Her name was Sparky, and she showed me what life could be like. The happiness I could experience. And since then, I've made the decision that I will truly live from now on. I will take risks, meet new people, and step out of my comfort zone."

She looks up at me and I say the only thing I have on my mind, "I will be by your side every step of the way. I will be here to protect and help you. You don't have to live life alone anymore, you have me."

My face gets closer to hers, our breaths mingling. She leans in slowly, following my lead, a look of confusion on her face.

I connect our lips slowly, easing her into this new experience. She gasps at the new sensation, sparks running up and down our bodies, making us feel closer than ever before. I cup her face, gently stroking my thumb over her cheek as she melts into the kiss.

Pulling away to let her breathe, I look her in the eyes. Her hazel ones stare right back at me, a look of amazement shining in them. She whispers, as if not to ruin the moment, "What was that?"

"That was a kiss, love."

Her eyes flash down to my lips once more, before she asks in a breathy voice, "Can we do it again?"

I comply, smashing our lips together, in total bliss.