Chapter 26

Sophia's POV

Walking back into our room, Rowan sets the bags down by the closet. She insisted that she carry all of the bags, excluding her gift.

"Are you going to give me my gift now?" Rowan asks impatiently as I giggle. I never expected her to be so bothered by not knowing what it is.

I roll my eyes at her tone, suddenly wanting to keep it from her for longer just to mess with her. "Fine, only because you asked so nicely." 

She narrows her eyes at me as she reaches for the gift, before drawing her hand back. "I didn't ask nicely."

"Exactly, which means you will have to wait until the end of the day to receive your gift."

She walks up to me and puts her arms around me, pulling me into a sweet kiss. "What was that for?" I ask, confused on why she kissed me so randomly.

"For keeping me in line," she says with a small smile. I smile right back, kissing her again.

"Okay, now turn around so I can hide it! I don't want you finding it before I'm ready for you to." I turn her around and make sure her eyes are closed. I run into the closet and place it in my underwear drawer, knowing she will respect my privacy.

I kiss her nose softly, before saying, "All finished. Cuddles?"

Rowan smiles, loving cuddles as much as I do. She nods excitedly, jumping onto the bed like a child would. Following her actions, I jump onto the bed right beside her and climb into her awaiting arms.

We cuddled for quite a while, the time flying by with quick kisses and mumbled, 'I love you's.

The bliss we were in eventually came to an end, or as I would like to say, the calm before the storm.

I first notice something is wrong when Rowan tenses from her relaxed state.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concerned about what is making her tense, also wanting to help.

She quickly stands up, opening the door to leave. I'm left shocked at the rapidly changing atmosphere. She seemed on edge, making me nervous. I've never seen Rowan on edge before.

"I have to leave. My Gamma, Andrea will be up to keep you company soon," she says in a stern voice, no room to ask questions. With one last glance at me, she leaves.

As she said, Andrea came up to babysit me. I don't know why I needed to be babysat, but I've decided not to question Rowan's decisions after last time.

"Hi Luna! It's so nice to properly meet you," Andrea says in a happy voice, a wild change from Rowan's stiff and stoic voice from only a few moments ago. Andrea makes me feel more relaxed, like there is nothing to worry about.

I would have believed the front she put up, but the worry in her eyes gave her away. Something is wrong.

"Hi Andrea. Please, call me Sophia," I insist, not liking the title. Without Rowan by my side, I didn't feel like a Luna.

Andrea and I got along well, becoming fast friends. The atmosphere changed once again when her eyes glazed over, and the smile fell off her face.

"What's wrong? I know something is happening," I push for answers, hoping for some hint on what is going on.

"Rowan will tell you," is all she says.

We sit in silence after that, both lost in our own thoughts. What could they possibly be hiding?

My mate comes barging into the room, breathing heavily. Andrea takes the opportunity to leave, exiting quickly. Rowan pulls me into her arms, hugging me tightly, making me feel more at ease. She sniffs my hair, taking in my scent.

"Please, Rowan. Tell me what's wrong," I plead, needing to know what has everyone so shaken up.

She takes a deep breath before saying the one thing that can cause my newfound happiness to shatter into pieces.

"The rogues are back, and are here to finish the job."