Monday, September 21st

PART III - SOFIA

Baker, Jamie, and Helen were the first ones to sit in the auditorium. I took a seat two rows behind them.

The first few things from the backdrop had already been assembled: There was a staircase about to be turned into a balcony, two house facades made from paper-mâché, a huge chandelier was standing on a wooden box. It looked like a surrealist still life. The arts elective got asked by Mrs. Carter if they could produce the stage set and props, and our teacher, Mr. Lum, had agreed.

Baker was the first to notice me. Turning half in his chair, he asked me: "Hey new girl, how are you?"

"Pretty fine, how are you?"

"I'm fabulous. I'm thriving. I'm –" He gestured with his hands but couldn't think of another word. "You know," he finished simply. "What's your favorite color, Sofi?"

"Baker, would you stop?" Jamie begged him, but I just laughed. "It's been three weeks! You already asked me what the most defining moment in my life was and now you're back to favorite color?"

"Yeah, yeah, fine, I'm out of questions."

"Why do you even ask them?"

"Because I want to get to know you."

I sighed. "Well then, my favorite color is red."

"Will you go on a date with me?"

I don't know if they saw me blushing. I wasn't exactly embarrassed but being asked out by a boy in public wasn't something I longed for. I liked Baker, he was sweet and his accent more than adorable. I shook my head. "No."

Baker just shrugged his shoulders, whereas Jamie said: "Uh, that was harsh."

Baker made a questioning face at him. "No, it wasn't?"

"I mean – she could at least give you a reason."

"She's not obligated to," Baker said as if it was self-explanatory. Which it obviously wasn't for Jamie.

"But after your efforts over the past weeks, she should –"

"She should what? Give me a chance? She doesn't owe me anything."

"Do you wanna chime in here?" Jamie turned to Helen for support.

"No, I think Jonathan has got it covered."

Jamie looked at each of us in disbelieve. I loved the way Baker handled the situation. Not only was all the attention drawn from me, but also Jamie got a lesson in "decent human behavior 101".

"Whatever," Jamie said getting up and lifting his bag from the ground. "I have practice. See you later, Babe."

Said Babe nodded but didn't even look at him.

Later, when we were sitting in the back row and learning our lines, Baker asked his next question: "How many boys have you been with?"

I closed my eyes for a moment to clear my head. Was this question too personal? Was I okay being asked that? I decided that it was okay. This was Baker. "Zero."

"So, you're a virgin?"

"If your definition of sex is having a guy's dick inside of me, then yes, I am a virgin."

He opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but nothing came out. What stayed was a confused look on his face.

"I'm gay," I clarified.

"Oh shit!" He said, but in a nice – though unbelieving – way. Then his face changed suddenly. "Sorry for cornering you like that before."

Now it was my turn to be perplexed. "What are you even talking about? I like that you are asking me questions, taking me under your wing – I wouldn't have one friend if it wasn't for you. And what the hell does it change that I'm gay?"

For a second, we just stared at each other. Then he admitted quietly: "I feel like a bad person because it changes the way I see you."

"What do you mean?"

"You know. Now you're a dude."

I didn't know what to make of that statement, so I scoffed and asked, "You still wanna be friends with dude-me?"

"Of course."

"See, you're not a bad person."