22) Ground Rules

"Are you going to be okay?" Mom asks for the millionth time as she holds onto the car door

She and Carl have everything loaded up and are ready to roll. Except Mom keeps stalling, repeating the same questions over and over like she's too scared to leave me.

The only thing I'm waiting for is for her to finally get in the damn car. All my things are already packed, sitting safely in the back seat of my Lexus, everything in the house is shut off, and the doors are locked. Everyone's ready to leave but Mom. Even Jace is sitting on his bike patiently waiting for us to wrap up our goodbyes.

The only one who isn't lingering around is Ms. Amy. I gave her the big pot of Chowder I cooked, that no one had touched, and she went home thinking we'd be close behind her.

That was twenty minutes ago.

"Yes, Mom. I'm going to be fine," I try to reassure her, again.

I've said it so many times, I might actually believe it myself at this point.

"I gave Amy some money to help for groceries and stuff like that but if you need anything extra you have the emergency card right?"

"Yup. I got the card, keys to the house so I can check on things, and condoms so you won't come home to find out you're going to be a grandmother. All of it's covered, some of it's unnecessary but I got it, for the tenth time."

"Okay, I get it. I'm repeating myself." She nods and holds up her hands to stop me from going on, which with the list she gave me, I really could keep going. "It's just...we've never been apart this long before. So I'm a little freaked out. It's a mom thing, sue me."

She lets go of the car door to wrap me in another tight hug and kisses my cheek.

"Alright, I'm going now," she says more to herself as she sits in the passenger seat, opting to let Carl take the first driving shift.

Said driver leans over to wave. "Thanks again for all your understanding, Lex. I'll take good care of your mom."

"Thanks, Carl." I wave back.

Mom shuts the door but quickly rolls down the window. "And I'll call you when we get there. Probably won't be until sometime tomorrow night."

I slowly step backward, creeping towards my car. "Okay, Mom. Sounds good. I love you."

"I love you too, honey." She starts to roll her window up only to stop and roll it back down. "Oh, Jace!"

Still leaning against his bike, Jace looks up from his phone,

"You take care of my baby!" Mom shouts loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

Jace smiles. "Not a problem, Ms. Cherly. She's in good hands."

The last thing I hear from her is a muffled, "Mmhmm" before her window is finally rolled all the way up. Carl starts the car and as they back out of the driveway, both of them wave goodbye before driving down the road.