40)Thanksgiving Drama

Thanksgiving at the barn is always the same

Thanksgiving at the barn is always the same. Those with family spend the first half of the day at home before coming over to enjoy a second meal.

For the Williams clan, we don't bother with a huge family dinner. It's one of the holidays that the Guardians get together so going all the way to Aunt Shannons doesn't work, and God knows she's not going to slum it for a day in West Freecaster. So she stays at home and we eat in the barn with the rest of the crew. Even Mom puts her issues aside and joins us.

"Jace!" Mom shouts from the kitchen as I step out of the shower.

I yank the towel off the rack and wrap it around my waist. Not wanting to trek water throughout the apartment, I peek my head out the door letting the steam bellow out while my nose catches a whiff of something delicious. "Yeah?"

"Call your aunt and cousin and wish them a happy Thanksgiving before you head out the door."

"Okay." I shut the door to dry off and get dressed.

Stepping out a few minutes later in a pair of ripped jeans and a black henley, I grab my phone and call the witch.

"Hey, Jacey," Aunt Shannon picks up after a few rings.

Cringing from the horrible nickname, I slide out onto the balcony. "Hey, Aunt Shay. Just wanted to call and wish you a happy Thanksgiving."

"Aww, that's so sweet," her voice comes through in a sickly-sweet tone. "It's such a shame you all can't come over for dinner. We got the biggest Turkey we could find and a bunch of Uncle Evan's business associates is coming over. I know one that has a cute daughter your age," she adds in a suggestive drawl.

My nose wrinkles at her words since she can't see. "Eh, I'm good. Got a girlfriend already. But thanks."

"Oh, sweetie. You are too young to be getting serious about one girl. You should play the field."

Aunt Shannon would know, word has it she got around a lot in her day. That's one of the reasons why she and Cassie have so many issues. Aunt Shannon was with several guys around the time she got pregnant and never figured out who Cassie's bio-dad was. Luckily, Uncle Evan treats Cass as his own, but I know it still bothers her. The last time she asked Aunt Shannon about it, she was told there are four possibilities.

Poor kid.

Though I know who my dad is and it's not like my relationship with him is any better. Haven't seen the guy since I was eight.

What the fuck are you doing, Jace? It's a holiday. Cheer the hell up.

Shaking my head, I ignore Aunt Shannon's shitty words of wisdom. "Is Cassie around?"

"Yeah. She's here somewhere. Let me go get her." A low thump sounds from the other end like she just set the phone down.

I wait, watching some of the Guardians start to show up, driving through the parking lot of the apartments and around the back to the gate.