31)Surprise Party

"You were about to skid out on that last bend," Wilder informs me as he leans against his bike

I shrug and take my helmet off in time to catch Travis crossing the finish line. The second he stops and jumps off, he kicks a cloud of dirt and gravel as he throws his helmet on the ground.

"This is bullshit! I just upgraded my shit yesterday," Travis vents, staring at his bike like it's his worst enemy.

Wild chuckles. "And yet, you still can't keep up. What the hell are we gonna do with you, T? We can't train you and help you race better."

"I don't need help." Travis glowers and grits his teeth. "I know bikes better than all of you. I know engines better than all of you. I shouldn't be having this fucking problem."

I roll my eyes at his temper tantrum. "Relax, master mechanic. You're just having an off day."

"Yeah." Wilder nods. "Just imagine you're making love to a beautiful chick and you'll forget you're even racing. Then you'll be able to cross that finish line before all of us."

I'm not sure if that's true but at least it might help him relax. Poor dude had a run-in with the Vipers a couple days ago and has been on edge ever since. Not that anything actually happened. He and the others on patrol chased them off before they got close to the borders. But still, it means they haven't given up.

It's the exact reason my uncle scheduled our initiations next weekend. Just as Wild predicted, we need to increase our numbers. All the current prospects are gonna get their patches and then it's on to recruiting new bodies. Of course, the attack on the barn contributed to our sudden promotion too. Uncle Rob said we handled ourselves like warriors, like Guardians. We earned our place in the club, and not a single Guardian alive doubts that.

Travis shakes his head. "Fuck imagining a chick, I'll just grab one tonight at Lexi's party. I need to drain my nuts before they fucking explode, and before next weekend for sure."

I feel his pain. I need to get Lexi alone soon before I lose my fucking mind, and her birthday party sounds like the perfect opportunity.

"Speaking of which." Wild looks at his phone. "We should probably head back. I gotta clean up before tonight."

"You ain't the only one." I nod, slipping on my helmet, and get a quick whiff of the stank coming from under my arms.

The guys load up and we peel out of Rock-a-Billy's. For being a shutdown track that's falling apart board by board, it's the best place to race. Not a soul for miles. But that also means the drive back is a little long, and if I want to jump in the shower before tonight, we got to go now.

 But that also means the drive back is a little long, and if I want to jump in the shower before tonight, we got to go now