Chapter Nineteen | Think of the Children

Quinn slept fitfully most of the time after returning to Auradon. she would often wake up in a cold sweat, gripping the hilt of her dagger that she kept under her pillow out of habit.

One night, someone shook her awake and before she was fully awake, Quinn had pressed the blade to the neck of –

"Woah, Quinn," Dad said, backing away from her bed. "It's just me."

Quinn inhaled sharply and quickly dropped the dagger. It clattered to the wooden floor and she shook her head. "Sorry, Dad," she mumbled, rubbing her face. "I'm just. still a little on edge."

He sat down on the edge of her bed. "Quinn," he said quietly. "Who's Harper? You were saying his name."

She looked down at the quilted bedspread. "He. he was one of the kids on the Isle," she said hesitantly.

"What happened, Quinn?" Dad asked and there was pain in his voice.

When Quinn looked up, her eyes were filling with tears. "I couldn't save him, Dad." Her voice broke and she covered her face with her hands. "He was just a kid, a twelve-year-old kid, and I couldn't save him."

"Oh, kiddo," Dad pulled her into a hug. "It's not your fault. I'm sure you tried your best."

"It's just so frustrating!" she burst out, pulling away after a little while. "Those are kids! And they have nothing, not even control over their own lives. Even the most basic things like proper doctors – doctors of any kind! I was the 'surgeon' in the Crew because I had the most knowledge! It's ridiculous! I take one First Aid class here and I'm more knowledgeable than the whole island! How is that fair?" The tears were really coming now, and Dad pulled her in again.

"I know, I know," he said quietly.

Once Quinn had calmed down, and Dad was about to leave, he turned in the doorway. "That's what drove you back, isn't it? What happened to Harper?"

Quinn nodded. "It made me realize – well, Jax came up with it first – that nothing could be done from over there."

"Who is Jax again?"

"Captain Hook's son," she said quickly. "He's the leader of the Crew."

Dad looked at her for a moment, as though he was trying to read the thoughts she was trying very hard to hide. Quinn thought she saw him smile a little, but in the dim light, it was difficult to tell. "Well, goodnight then, Quinn."

"Goodnight, Dad," Quinn said.

"I love you."

It was such a simple phrase; one they had exchanged so often thoughtlessly. But when Quinn said, "Love you too." It meant much more than it ever had. She was lucky, so incredibly lucky. And that was what had to keep her going.

•••

Quinn stood in front of the mirror. She was trying to go for a combination of her Isle clothes and her Sherwood clothes – she felt like she needed to represent both sides of herself. And she knew it was dumb; the Undergrounders were not going to judge her by her outfit – but still.

Dad knocked on the doorframe and peeked inside. "Ready to go?"

Quinn turned and smiled as confidently as she could. "Yep."

They set off on horseback, joined by Mark when they passed his place. He looked her up and down and nodded approvingly. "Good choice."

Dad was noticeably quiet for most of the ride.

"And you have nothing to worry about, Uncle John," said Mark. "The Undergrounders are a very welcoming community. Everyone is super chill and non-judgmental." He looked over at Quinn. "Although, you might want to keep the whole villain kid thing on the down-low."