Part 5: The Dragon Master

Hiccup's POV

Astrid did wake up the village, although they were really grumpy as it was the middle of the night. They all collected at the docks, as it had a large enough space for everyone to be able to stand there. My father, as the Chief, stood at the front, in the center of the group. I stood in the shadows, waiting to make my entrance.

“Astrid,” my father’s voice boomed into the night, “Is there a reason that you woke us up in the middle of the night?”
She was about to reply, but I stopped her, stepping out of the shadows to address the crowd.
“She did it, because I asked her to.”
Everyone gasped when they saw me, everyone except for my dad, that is. I still wore my mask, of course.
“Who are you?” my father demanded loudly
“I am known as The Dragon Master,” I replied, “I believe you sent for my assistance?”
“Yes, of course,” My father replied, slowly, almost warily.
I needed them to know that they could trust me and my dragons, so I knew what I had to say.

“I know you have had a bad past with the dragons,”  I told the Berkians, “Not only with the dragon raids, but you also believe that your heir was killed by a dragon.”
“What do you mean “Believe”?” my dad asked, “He was.”
I shook my head, “No, he wasn’t. He’s still alive.”
Everyone gasped and began to murmur.
“And ‘ow would you know tha’ laddie?” Gobber asked.
I took a deep breath, and lifted off my mask.

I wasn’t sure how well they could see me in the dim moonlight, but no one said anything for a few moments, just stared at me. I looked directly at my father.
Hiccup?” he asked, quietly
I nodded. He continued to stare at me, speechlessly for a moment more, before embracing me in a hug. I hugged him back.
“I thought I’d lost you,” he whispered
“You could never lose me,” I replied.
He eventually let go, still holding me by the shoulders and smiling at me. I smiled back at him.

Hiccup?” Gobber choked.
I smiled at him, “Hi Gobber.”

I calculated 3 seconds before Gobber exploded.

3...
2

Hiccup!” he cried, rushing over to me and grasping me in a bone-crushing hug.
“Uh, Gobber?” I choked, “I can’t breathe!”
“Sorry, laddie,” he said, holding back tears, “I’m just so glad te see yer.”
“Me too, Gobber,” I assured him, “Me too.”
“What happened to you?” Dad asked, “Where have you been these past five years?”
“That,” I said, “is a very long story.”
“It is,” Astrid agreed, “he told it to me.”
“And what ‘append to yer leg?” Gobber asked.
“I’ll explain that to you as well,” I replied, “If we could find somewhere to sit down?”

Dad said to meet him back at his house, my old house. I agreed, just saying that I needed to fetch something first.

That something was Toothless, who came bounding up to me as soon as I entered the cove.
“Come on, Toothless,” I said, “I think it’s time you met my dad.”

530 words