Part 6: Introductions and Explanations

Hiccup’s POV

When I got to Dad’s house, I asked Toothless to wait outside for a minute. I then went inside, and began to explain to my father and Gobber. Astrid was there too, but she had already heard the story. I explained everything to them, from shooting down Toothless, the battle with the Red Death, finding The Edge, everything.

“So,” Dad said when I had finished, “You befriended a dragon, rode it, and then ran away from Berk on it?”
“Pretty much,” I agreed, “And I’m sorry for running away. I shouldn’t have. Or I should have at least left you a letter to let you know I was alright.”
Dad shook his head, “No, I’m the one who should have been sorry. I’m the one who drove you away in the first place with my behavior towards you. It’s not your fault.”
“Should we call it “truce” then?”
He smiled at me, “Of course.”
“There’s just one more thing,” I said.
“What’s tha’?” Gobber asked.
I smiled, “He’s waiting outside.”

I took them outside and called for Toothless. He had been waiting behind the house, as I’d asked, to keep out of sight of the people walking past. He, again, came bounding up to me happily.
“Dad,” I said, “this is Toothless.”
This is Toothless?” Dad asked, surprised, “I thought he was a Night Fury?”
I laughed, “He is.”
“But he’s so… friendly.”
“Dragons aren’t the beasts you think they are,” I told him, “Once you earn their loyalty, there is nothing a dragon won’t do for you.”
Toothless slipped out from under my hand and stepped towards my Dad. Surprisingly, my Dad, Stoick the Vast, Chief of Berk, reached out, and touched Toothless on the nose. Toothless seemed pleased, and rubbed his nose against Dad’s hand. Dad smiled.
“I see what you mean, son,” He said, continuing to pet Toothless.
Gobber, Astrid and I stared at him in surprise.
Gobber eventually broke out of his trance.
“We’re gonna te need more than just Toothless if we're gonna beat Drago, lad. Even if Toothless is a Night Fury.”
I smiled, “You think I came with just one?”

The next morning, I went to fetch the dragons. They couldn't all stay in the village, there were too many of them, so some of them had to stay on the outskirts of the wood.

I chose a select few for a certain purpose. A Deadly Nadder named Stormfly, a Zippleback called Barf and Belch, a Monstrous Nightmare named Hookfang,a Gronckle named Meatlug, a Thunderdrum named Skullcrusher and a Hotburpule named Grump.

I led them to the ring where we used to learn how to fight dragons. That place brought back memories. When I arrived, I found Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs, the twins; Ruffnut and Tuffnut, Gobber and Dad waiting for me.

I hadn’t actually had any contact with “The Gang”, which included Snotlout, Fishlegs, the Twins and Astrid, since I’d returned, except for Astrid, that is.
“What are we even doing here?” Snotlout asked in irritation, “and why are there dragons with him?”
I ignored his tone and answered his question normally.
“You are here,” I said patiently, “to learn how to train your dragon.” (did you get that? 😏)
Our dragons?” Fishlegs squealed.
I nodded. Fishlegs had always been fascinated by dragons. He had read The Book Of Dragons about 100 times.

“You each get to choose one of these dragons,” I told them, gesturing to the ones I had brought with me, “and you will learn to ride them.”
“Why do we have to?” Snotlout sneered, “you already have Toothless. Why do we need more Riders?”
Because,” I said, beginning to lose patience, “If we are going to defeat Drago and keep Berk from him, we are going to need more than just me and Toothless.”
“But I thought you were the greatDragon Master”,” He jeered, “You should be able to defeat him by yourself.”
That blew it.

"You know what, Snotlout?" I shouted, losing all patients I had left, "I am sick and tired of your arrogant, hot-headed attitude. There is absolutely no reason for you to sneer and tease people the way you do, other than that it is just a cover for your own self-pity and insecurities. Now, would you please shut-up or leave!"

Everyone, including Snotlout, my father and Gobber, seemed taken aback by my outburst. Five years ago, I would never have dared to speak to anyone like that, let alone my own cousin.

For the rest of the training session, Snotlout was completely silent, an anomaly for him. Fishlegs and the Twins eyed me warily, Astrid seemed both shocked and proud? I wasn't actually sure about the second thing though. My Dad and Gobber treaded carefully around me, not wanting to anger me again.

I was kind of ashamed of my outburst. I wasn't normally angered easily, but Snotlout had always known how to push my buttons.

That evening, after training, I hung back to pack away the equipment we had been using. Once I had finished, Toothless and I turned to leave the ring, but we're surprised to find Snotlout standing there.

"Before you say anything," he said, "I just wanted to say that… I'm sorry."
I was surprised by his statement, but I shook my head.
"No," I said, "I'm sorry for shouting at you. I shouldn't have lost my temper."
"Truce then?" he asked, giving me a small smile.
"Truce," I agreed, returning it.

919 words