Day Four: Pt. 2

Y/N looked back at Saiki with level eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about."

The psychic studied her for a moment. There wasn't anything betraying whether she was lying or not, so it was safe to assume that she genuinely didn't know.

Saiki sighed, "No matter. I suppose I should tell you now, then. Y/N, I'm a psychic."

...

She gawked at him with this look. It was an indescribable one. Think of it as the one you'd give to someone who told you they punched you right after they, well, didn't (gahh I need a different example lmao). A strange look that screams: 'Are you out of your fucking mind?'

"I guess it isn't completely unbelievable since Aiura is a psychic, too, but..." Y/N stared at Saiki. "Let's say I believe you. What can you do to prove it?"

He sighed, once again. Of course, this would happen. Everybody asks for proof when he says that.

In reality, Y/N's mind was thinking back to the incident earlier. If Saiki was a psychic, why didn't he use his powers to make saving them much easier? Was her life not important enough for him to even try?

So, in short- she felt betrayed.

Saiki raised himself into the air. I mean, this was the best way to demonstrate it, so whatever.

He continued to sit upon thin air as Y/N stared at him with even wider eyes. She then blinked once, twice, three times before her thoughts finally collected and she mustered up the courage to ask her question.

"Why didn't you use your powers earlier to help me, then?"

Y/N's voice betrayed the slight distress from her insecurities from earlier. Saiki's expression hardened a bit before giving his answer.

"My powers don't work on you."

"What do you mean?"

"See, I have more than one ability. X-Ray, mind-reading- Those two, specifically, I can't control. But when it comes to you," Saiki said. "You're... You. I can't read your mind, and I can see you properly, flesh and all."

Y/N seemed stunned for a moment. "What other powers do you have?"

"Too many to list."

"Then, explain further. If it's just those two, surely you could've been able to lift me with your levitating abilities."

"Whenever I come in contact with you, all my psychic powers completely shut down."

She bit her lips at this. "Oh. I'm sorry."

He looked at her with a bit of confusion. "Why?"

"You must feel uncomfortable around me, then."

"The opposite, actually.."

It'd be out of character for him to say that out loud, though, of course.

Saiki shook his head, implying his disagreement. He slipped himself back down onto the ground, before looking off towards the snapped bridge.

"I should probably put some sort of warning sign about the bridge," he thought. That wouldn't be too hard, teleporting some sign in front of both pathways that it wasn't in use.

Y/N had more to say, though. "Do your friends not know about them?"

Saiki held back an eye-roll. They weren't his friends; he wished that the damn author would stop listing them as such when addressing that group. "No."

She stared at him for a moment, thinking. "Do you not want the attention you'd receive if you came out as a psychic?"

He nodded.

"I see. That's understandable."

Saiki heard the girls coming back with the rest of the group, but before he could react first, he got hugged (aggressively) by Nendo.

"Pal! Are you okay?!"

"Y/N!" That was Kuboyasu's voice.

She lit up, glancing towards the direction from where her acquaintances came. "You guys...!"

Aren ran over, not knowing whether to smack her or hug her. "You dumbass, I told you to be careful. You could've died!"

Y/N pouted. "I didn't do anything."

Teruhashi laughed light-heartedly. "That's right. Y/N and Saiki didn't do anything wrong. The bridge was unstable. It snapped as they were crossing it."

Kaido arrived, joining in with fussing over his friends' very close calls.

Chiyo hugged Y/N tightly, not letting her go for a good while. Saiki glanced at Y/N, who had a relieved smile on her face: but it didn't manage to hide the crestfallen behind it completely. She was slightly distraught about the talk with Saiki.

Teruhashi stood at the back, looking uncertain.

"I'm so glad Saiki is okay. Y/N... she almost dragged Saiki down with her," the blueberry continued to spite. In the middle of her nonsense, though, she paused and glanced over at the mentioned female. "But I'm glad she's okay."

If Kusuo were to ignore the first bit of that thought, his likability for her might've gone up a bit.

The first group led the other four through a path. It was a lot more climbing and heavy exercising, but they managed to make it out of the trails before it hit 7 PM.

At this point, they were all dead tired and decided to eat together before heading to bed. Teruhashi and Chiyo went to report the incident to the people in charge as the others reserved a table.

Y/N passed by a window with a reflection, giving herself a good look. She looked at it closer, her face scrunching up. "Wow. I look like shit."

They all sat down, with Y/N sitting next to Saiki. She was trying her best not to continuously sneak glances at him while he, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. He was repeatedly looking at her, how, some might describe, similarly to a clingy puppy.

He was practically dying to continue their discussion from earlier.

Y/N seemed so out of it. She was so distracted from reality and excused herself before she even ate: "I'm going to go get some rest."

With that, she left for her- No, their room.

-
Kusuo opened the door lightly so that it wouldn't make much noise. He set a tray with some food down on the desk beside his roommate's bed, where she was long asleep, and slipped into bed himself.

"Goodnight," he whispered gently.

He hoped that what happened earlier today wouldn't affect their relationship too much.

After all, he treasured it.