Chapter Eight

𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝘾𝙮𝙘𝙡𝙤𝙥𝙚𝙨 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮

𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝘾𝙮𝙘𝙡𝙤𝙥𝙚𝙨 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮. None good, of course.

She woke to the rocking of the small lifeboat, with the back of her head aching. Clarisse was sitting across from her, eyes on the horizon.

"Clarisse?" Andy muttered, reaching up to rub the back of her head. No blood, thankfully. Maybe a small concussion, but she'd worry about that later.

"Andy!" Clarisse turned to look at her. "You're okay! I thought you may have died."

Andy laughed. "I'll be okay."

Clarisse turned back to the horizon, holding her hand up to shield her eyes from the sun. "I think I see the monster's island."

Andy crawled over to her, trying not to capsize the small boat.

They were getting closer, their small boat moving faster than should be possible without an oar or motor.

"It's pulling us in," Andy realized.

"The magic is strong," Clarisse said. "It must be the Fleece."

The island got bigger, a saddle shaped island, with green fields and tropical fruit and white, sandy beaches. There was a creepy rope bridge, but Andy could almost smell the magic of the Fleece.

There were clumps of cloud-like things, sheep the size of hippos. They milled all over the green grass, grazing aimlessly.

Their boat crunched against the shore, and they clambered out. Andy could see the Fleece at the top of hill, golden and shimmering in the boughs of a massive oak tree.

A dusty path led up to it, winding through the grass.

"Do we just take it?" Andy asked.

Clarisse looked around suspiciously. "There's supposed to be a guardian, a dragon, I think."

Andy turned to look at her, blood draining from her face. "Cl- Clarisse?"

"What is it?"

Andy pointed, Clarisse whirled around. She drew her sword. Behind her was Polyphemus, casting a long shadow.

"Yummy!" The giant grinned, showing his big, gross, crusty teeth. "I found appetizers!"

"𝙂𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙧!" 𝙋𝙤𝙡𝙮𝙥𝙝𝙚𝙢𝙪𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙. "You're a feisty one!"

"Challenge me!" Clarisse yelled. She was hanging upside down over a large cauldron, full of boiling water. "Give me back my sword and I'll fight you!"

The monster roared with laughter.

Grover and Polyphemus were standing near the entrance of the Cyclops's dark cave. Andy was tied with rope next to a wall of rock. She was wiggling, trying to loosen her ties.