4

The tightness in my throat was slowly starting to swell while my stomach gradually stiffened.
The stomach ache got so bad I had to lay down on one of the red sofas present on my surroundings while clutching the pain with one hand.

This was unbelievable! How could this happen to me twice?

I had to have the worst luck in the world. Everyone around me was always dying and now God wanted to take me as well.

I dropped my head into my palms and silently sobbed into the thin air, hoping no one would hear me.
I didn't have a lot of time to grieve as I had to run to the kitchen since I had about 5 minutes.
Surprisingly, breakfast was always the most chaotic time of the day.

The lords and ladies had all woken up at different times and it was almost impossible to accommodate all of them.
Almost.

Unfortunately, the chef I was assigned to was an unmistakable perfectionist and much to my displeasure, did not tolerate any excuses on why the food was not ready yet.
I hurried to the stove in order to get the fresh bread all while sweeping up a whole bunch of it before running back and handing it over to yet another that worked below my chef .

The whole kitchen was filled with the sound of working machinery accompanied with the dreadful music of the disoriented wails and screams belonging to the maids on duty as they got dragged out of the area, imprisoned for another petite crime.
The kitchen was never a peaceful environment to be in. Unfortunately it was the place I had to spend the most time in. It took hours to prepare a meal for all the people with the noble blood and there were around thirty times more maids than residents. It was almost uncanny on why it still took forever to compete the Michelin-star food the lords expect.

"Hey!"
A voice emerged from behind me.
My head snapped back to face the culprit.
My eyes widened as I saw it was a chef addressing me. I rested my eyes on the floor to show my respect. It was considered a huge insult to stare into a higher-power's eyes, yet from what I could see the chef did not look too much older than me, which was unusual for the chefs I was used to as they mostly reached the age limit between early 40s and late 50s.

"Sorry I don't know your name. I wanted to ask if you could fetch me the Bluefin Tuna." A kind tone reflected from the speaker making my eyes blaze in confusion.
I was so shocked by the higher-up's kindness I almost dropped the tray with grapes that I had recently rinsed.

However I couldn't let my amazement show so I solely nodded my head in understanding and followed his instructions.
The Bluefin Tuna was easy to locate as it was one of the most popular foods in the manor.
I carefully wrapped it up as to not get my fingertips on it, which would earn me 15 whips for "attempting to poison the food of the superior."

I brought it to the amiable chef.
"Thank you."

My heart almost sank as I heard those words and I was sure the perplexity was written all over my face.

Yet I couldn't say anything as I would receive 13 punches for talking when not spoken to by a superior.

"That reminds me. I never got your name." The man spoke casually.

This time my face was a mixture of pure horror and astonishment. I wasn't sure wether I should answer or if this was a trick but either way I could not deny the desire of a superior power.

"K-kamala." I replied and mentally cursed myself for stuttering.
"Kamala. That's a pretty name." The man beamed at me. "I'm Kedrick. I know what were my parents thinking, right?"
He laughed at his words and I formed a small smile on my lips as to not appear rude.
"Can you help me with the decorating?" He asked suddenly and I could swear my jaw had reached the floor.

Never in the history of the world did a chef from this manor ask a kitchen maid to help out with such an important task. Afterall, the appearance of the food had to be of the upmost quality as some brain-dead people couldn't tell the difference between quality based on the taste.

I nodded hesitantly and he handed me a piping bag with white frosting. I took it nervously while he took another one and we slowly made little patterns all over a cake.
"You must excuse me, I'm new around here and I really don't want to get in trouble. I heard the punishments are ruthless." He shrugged.

I nodded silently.
He turned around to face me.
"You don't talk much, do you?" He asked casually.
I wasn't sure if I should have answered that so I replied with a simple and short,
"No."
I didn't understand what he wanted me to say. I couldn't talk to people above unless they directly ask me and even then it is punishable if you talk for too long.
He did say he was new, that might explain it.

The rest of the day went surprisingly smoothly. Kedrick asked me for help in not only breakfast, but lunch and dinner as well. I was constantly worried I was going to be sent down to the basements but thankfully, no chefs realized as they were too busy bossing around other helpless maids. The maids that did notice gave me dirty looks but they couldn't say anything about it.
Kedrick kept talking to me. It was mostly about his love of cooking and how he got the honor of cooking for the Mancini Mafia. Sometimes he would ask me simple questions but I always tried to keep my answer plain and brief.
I was taken aback on how kindhearted the man was.

He didn't look at me with disgust or hate. He said he thought all human being were equal. I never met a chef who thought of us as human beings.

The day went so well I almost forgot what awaited me afterwards.
It was 8 pm on the kitchen clock and I was let out early due to my new tasks.
I ran to to the closest storage room and took out my necessities.
A simple broom, vacuum and mop with a bucket of water.
The devices were uncomplicated. The hard part was carrying all those devices up the stairs to the 42nd floor. I had to take some and leave them outside and then go back for the others. Thankfully, it didn't take as long as I feared but my feet were ready to give out at that point.

The thought made me shiver as I recalled the last time my feet failed me.
I pushed away the bad thought and carefully opened the door to the room and shut it behind me.

My hands were trembling and I tried my hardest to not spill any of the water I took up with me.
The only way to get to the don's room was by going through the fanciest living room I had ever seen.
It was painted in royal red and looked as if it were made for a king with its authorities sense, yet it still managed to somehow look luxurious and modern.

I kept my head down as I felt to awkward to stare at the most intimidating room I had ever seen.

I was about to reach the bedroom when suddenly a voice that wreaked of power stopped me in my track.

"It's you."

———————
What do you think of Kendrick?

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.