Chapter Nine

The Atkinsons had bought a carriage with them.

Rather than having to walk through the dark, London streets and past the public houses that were full of drunkards and not very nice people, we had a carriage. I had never been one before, partially owing to the fact that I had barely stepped foot outside the orphanage walls for most of my life, but also because carriages were often reserved for the best in society. I had never been one of those.

The carriage had been parked outside the front gate, the door held open by a man dressed in black who stood shivering against the cold, winter air. Around us, lamps had been lit and offered a slight flicker of light against the darkness, but it seemed eerie. Even with the light, I could not help but think that someone would jump out of the shadows and scare me. I had never been a fan of the dark.

Mr Atkinson gestured me into the carriage, although he seemed to do so with slight reluctancy. After his conversation with Matron, it still surprised me that he had not changed his mind out this meeting and decided it would be better for everyone if their attempted adoption did not go ahead. Still, he had kept up the idea but certainly seemed less keen on it than he had done before.

I climbed into the carriage, trying to hide the spots on the back of my dress that had been mended more times then I cared to admit. After I climbed in, I shuffled into my seat and placed my hands into my lap without saying a word to anyone. The Atkinson's climbed in after with them both taking a seat on the opposite side of the carriage. When we pulled away from the gate, I turned to look out the window.

London somehow seemed busier at night then it did during the day. People were milling about in front of public houses or closed shops, stumbling around and talking loud and incoherently. I was glad we were not walking down to their house. I would not have made it down the road if I had seen the people standing around, shouting and causing a raucous.

"We're not too far away so this won't take long," Mrs Atkinson said. "Have you ever been a carriage before?"

"No, Ma'am,"

"It's jolly good fun. Sometimes, I ask the driver to go over the bumpy surfaces, much more fun."

"If you want a sore bottom the next morning," Mr Atkinson said.

"Hush, you'll ruin my fun."

I smiled slightly and turned back to the window. Mrs Atkinson did not appear at all phased by Matron's comments and her demeanour had not at all changed at all. Perhaps she could offer a few words to her husband, but I doubt he would change his mind unless I proved to him that I was not someone he needed to worry about. Despite Mrs Atkinson's bright demeanour, I could feel the fear bubbling up in my chest as the carriage moved further away from the orphanage and closer to the unknown.

We passed the restaurant we had been to during our first meeting, the slight flicker of candlelight coming from within, no doubt as they served their last few customers for the evening. There were fewer people around now, most of them still around the public houses which were almost non-existent at this part of the city. It seemed that public houses were more frequent around the poorer parts of the city and that included the orphanage.

With fewer people around, the drive became smoother since we did not have to stop or swerve to avoid those who had stumbled in front of the horses. After a little while, the carriage slowed and eventually came to a stop. We waited inside until the driver had opened the door and both the Atkinson's climbed out, leaving me alone for a few seconds. I paused to collect myself, exhaling heavily to try and calm my shaking breath a little.

After a few seconds, I wiped my hands on my dress to remove the sweat that had collected and left the carriage. The Atkinson's stood on the path waiting for me and the moment I had left the carriage, the driver closed the door, grabbed the horses reigns and pulled away from the curb.