10 - No mist, no filter

Percy glared at Apollo.
"Are you fucking kidding me?"

Apollo shrugged. "What, no 'thank you, O Insanely Awesome One, for saving my life and healing my broken ribs while I slept'? Well, you're welcome."

"You-" Percy groaned, and stood up. "Where the hell were you? Why couldn't you come to camp?" The demigod felt himself getting worked up, ranting about how much easier things would have been if they could have fell together. "Do you have any idea what I've gone through? Figures, you don't care about me, nor how I feel. No, you're only in this for the credits. I should have known. Well, tell you what, I don't need you. I've done this shit before, I can- I'll do it again..."

Apollo opened his mouth, and then closed it, not unlike a fish. "Jackson... I'm gonna help."

"Just- shut up, okay? We've - I've - got things to do."

Percy looked around, expecting to see the same misted down version of Tartarus that he saw with Annabeth. Much to his shock, he didn't.

The Fates (read: the Author) decided to be cruel, and there was no mist, no filter on what Percy saw. Now that there was no immediate danger, he could truly take in his surroundings. Gods, he wished he couldn't. Percy sat back down, breathing heavily and irregularly. Fucking hell, Jackson. Stay sane. You gotta save the fucking world for the third fucking time. Don't mess up.

His language was bad when he was stressed. Annabeth used to always be on his case about it when they were younger, often chastising him for using the Gods' names. But, before she died, she was just as bad as him.
"The gods? They're all pussies. Hey Hera! Hera! Fuck you." She'd yelled at the sky, one night on the Argo II.
Percy had laughed. "Let it all out, Wise Girl."
The memory didn't help Percy's current state.

He groaned, and squeezed his eyes shut. No use. He'd see this - Tartarus - every time he closed his eyes. His hands tore at his hair, knotting it. Percy didn't care, the pain was the only thing really keeping him grounded.

He felt warmth settle down next to him. Percy opened his eyes, and focused on Apollo, who was weaving this little thread of light as a form of distraction.
"If I feel myself slipping, I make something out of the light. It serves as a good distraction, something to focus on."
The sun God's voice was soft and gentle as he moved his hands to create a shape of light. Percy felt himself calming down while he watched, the light serving as a reminder that there were good things still down here, despite the bad. It was just enough to keep him from slipping.

The pair were silent as Apollo finished, and Percy looked over to find a near perfect pegasi.
"H-how did you know I like them?" He asked, still a little shaky. He carefully avoided looking around too much, focusing on the ground and Apollo.

"I notice more than you think, Percy." Apollo murmured. Percy frowned. It could have just been the red tinge that Tartarus had on everything, but was the sun god blushing?

Don't be stupid, he told himself sternly. He couldn't afford to go around delving into the what-ifs of love and/or his relationship with Apollo. They had a job to do, and Percy intended to get it done. Preferably sooner rather than later. He stood up abruptly, startling Apollo, and watched the small yet perfect light Pegasi fade.
"Cmon. I don't wanna be here any longer than necessary."

Apollo merely nodded and stood also, much to Percy's relief. He was expecting a few complaints or whines, he wouldn't put it past the sun god to try and put off the inevitable battle with Kronos.

Percy understood that these things were absolutely terrifying, but it was best to get them over and done this. He repeated this thought to Apollo, and the sun god nodded thoughtfully.
"I just worry, yknow? What if the last time I saw Artemis we were arguing..." the sun god muttered, and Percy sighed.
"It's best not to think about that. Trust me." the green-eyed demigod took a shaky breath in. "The last I saw Nico, we were arguing about this quest. I just keep telling myself, don't let the little guy be right. Don't- don't die like he said you would. Honestly, he'd probably storm the underworld just to yell at me..." Percy cut himself off. He didn't want to think about all this.

Apollo nodded grimly. "Well, it does seem like you're the expert when it comes to these sort of scenarios. I'll take your advice."
Percy managed a small smile. "You should do that more often, Sunny." He tried to laugh, but it ended up sound more like a tired chuckle.

The sun god, however, laughed loudly. Percy decided he liked the sound of it. Apollo's laugh was carefree and melodic, a welcome sound in a place as dark as Tartarus. He smiled to himself. Apollo really was like the sun.
"Sunny? How original... Waterboy."
"Oh come on, is that honestly the best you have? Not something cool like Sharkboy or... or... or Algae-head?"
"Algae-head is better than Waterboy, is it?" Apollo laughed again. "I think not. Besides, you've stuck me with Sunny, it's only fair I return the favour."

Percy smiled again, this time not having to force it. He was actually surprised how little effort it took him, in comparison to other times when just a smile exhausted him. No, this time his happiness was not a façade. Despite the duo literally being in the worse part of Hell, a little beam of light allowed itself into Percy's mind.

It served as a good distraction to the looming battle.

~~~

If not for the setting, Apollo couldn't have been happier.

He'd had a coherent conversation with percy, with no breakdowns from either of them! And Percy hadn't blasted him with water! And he'd gotten a nickname!

He was sure Hestia was fangirling. And possibly Aphrodite too, though she was mainly focused on the relationship between his son and Hades' son. He couldn't blame her. Solangelo>>>>

Holy Hades, Percy's smile was cute. Apollo felt himself reddening at the thought, hoping that Percy wouldn't notice. It seemed everything was red here... Apollo decided not to look around to check. Not after Percy had.

"Where do we go next?" He asked, thinking that Percy would have a better idea than him as to their whereabouts.
Percy sighed. "I want to visit an old friend's house..."
"Oh. Will I meet them?" Apollo wondered what sort of friend Percy had that would build their home in Tartarus. Surely not a monster.
"No." The demigod responded, his tone of voice sharp and cold.

Apollo flinched. "Oh, okay." Something about the son of Poseidon's tone told him not to push it, to shut up and follow him as they tried to navigate literal hell.

They passed what looked like a small fireplace, and Apollo heard Percy let out a small, choked sort of sob. Trying to comfort his companion, the sun god placed a comforting hand on the small of Percy's back. He was surprised when the demigod didn't automatically push away, and decided to keep his hand there a little longer.

Just so Percy didn't feel so alone.

(1238 words)