2 - An Unexpected Trip to Olympus

Percy ran to his cabin, the prophecy running through his mind. His short time with Apollo a few years ago had taught him about haikus, and Percy was surprised to hear that this was a haiku too. Perhaps Apollo had something to do with it? Haikus and sunshine, Percy thought. Yep, definitely Apollo.

In his cabin, all Percy could think about was how much he despised the idea of going on another quest. The Time Lord? That sounded like something out of a Doctor Who episode! Was he going to meet the Doctor with Apollo? Percy doubted it would be that harmless. Without thinking, he uncapped riptide and was about to drive it through his heart when he suddenly found himself being transported to the base of the Empire State building.

"What in the name of the Holy Mother-Hera of blue soap-tasting skittles am I doing here?" Percy muttered as he reluctantly capped Riptide, the golden Anaklusmos engraving glittering in the afternoon sun. He walked into the lobby, and was greeted by a different receptionist, suprising Percy.

"Floor 600 please." He asked politely.

The receptionist gave him a blank look. "I'm sorry Sir, you must be mistaken. There is no 500th floor." The answer was so obviously scripted, even a regular mortal could tell they were lying.

Percy rolled his eyes. "Look, Captain, I don't have the time or the energy to fight anymore. I need to get to Olympus." He lowered his voice. "There's been a new prophecy etc etc. Let. Me. Through."

The receptionist blinked. "Oh, um of course Sir. I'm... sorry?" They let Percy through, and he sighed.

"Thanks."

The receptionist merely avoided eye contact as Percy walked into the elevator. The elevator started to move and the music started to play.

Do you like Pina Coladas?
And getting caught in the rain...

Percy froze. Crikey, the gods really needed to update their elevator music. Memories of the elevator ride up from Tartarus flashed through his mind.

If you're not into yoga,
If you have half a brain...

The elevator dinged, and Percy was a mess. He couldn't let the Olympians see him like this. He was a weak, snivelling mess who obviously needed help to ride an elevator alone. So much for the 'most powerful demigod'.

If you like making love at midnight...
In the dunes of the cape...

The doors opened, and Percy heard the Olympians gasp along with some distant cries of pain. The sound was almost inhuman, like an animal that had been tortured over and over and had just been told that it was gonna happen again. Then he felt a warm hand in his back, and Percy raised his eyes to meet a pair of bright, sky blue.

Then I'm the love that you've looked for,
Write to me and escape.

"Apollo..." Percy breathed, and the sound stopped. His throat felt raw, and it was at this point that Percy realised that he was the tortured animal. "I'm sorry... I'll be leaving now I guess..." Already, Percy dreaded the thought of that awful music playing again.

"Percy, it's ok. Come with me." Apollo told him gently, and helped Percy up. How did he end up on the floor? Everything was blurring together again, and exhaustion crept into his bones and he let Apollo pull him up and towards the other Olympians. "Come visit my palace afterwards, and we can have a talk." The God of the sun murmured in Percy's ear, and then went to sit down. 

Alone, Percy stood in front of the 12 Olympians, sans Dionysus. Where was Mr D, Percy wondered, before shrugging it off at the memory of seeing his camp director near the strawberry fields as he had run up to his cabin. "Was there a reason you called me here?" He asked blankly, no emotion left to put into his voice. 

Zeus stepped forward. "I'm sure that, by now you've heard the new prophecy."

Percy nodded. Of course that was why they'd called him. They'd probably send him on the quest alone. He hoped they did. Then he wouldn't be responsible for anyone's death but his own. Yes, another demigod on this quest would complicate things greatly. "Yes, I have."

"Athena and Apollo had a civillised conversation when the prophecy was delivered. They seem to believe the titan lord Kronos is trying to reform in the pits of Tartarus."

Percy stiffened, and for a moment he was speechless. Those 30 seconds or so were filled with panic and terror. Surviving Tartarus once was enough for him. They couldn't make him go back- they wouldn't. Would they? He squeezed is eyes shut, trying to block out the common sense that was trying to come into his mind. For once, he hated common sense. It was always the right thing to do. Common sense didn't care about the kind thing. Didn't care about Percy. Oh, but he couldn't say no, not when so many lives would be lost if he didn't go. So his jaw went slack, and Percy stopped allowing himself to feel any emotions. "Ok."

He heard a faint gasp from the side, and looked over to see Apollo staring at him. Oh, of course. Apollo was the god of healing. He probably knew what was going through Percy's mind. That was probably why he wanted to talk after the meeting. Suddenly, Percy didn't want to stay another minute in Olympus. He wanted to run, and never come back. But he couldn't turn his back on the world when it needed him. So Percy forced his feet to stay planted on the marble floor. 

"Since you will need to defeat a titan, we have decided to send one of us down with you. After careful consideration, we have decided that the god to accompany you to the Pit is Apollo, as the prophecy speaks of 'sunhine and haikus', which are both Apollo's domain."

Great. So not only would Percy be back in Tartarus, the literal stuff of nightmares, he'd have to endure it with the vain, self-obsessed Apollo? He didn't have the energy to fight anymore, so he simply nodded, keeping his face free of emotion.

"Perfect. Then you and Apollo will have a week to prepare yourselves, and you will both meet in this room so we can open a pit that leads directly to Tartarus. We cannot afford any detours. Once your quest is completed, Lord Hades will retrieve you." Zeus looked satisfied with his plan, and sat back down on his throne. Percy, taking the gesture as a dismissal, bowed once to his father, Hestia and Artemis before walking out of the room. 

"Percy, wait!" he heard Apollo call, but he ignored it and entered the elevator.

If  you like pina coladas...

(1128 words)