8 - Not me, I guess

(A/N) secret HadesTown reference in here... comment if you found it ;)
Also TW// mentions of self harm

Neither Camp Half Blood nor Olympus saw much of Percy Jackson the last five days before Tartarus. The only person who could even claim to have had contact with him was Apollo. The sun god, every night, would be spotted heading into Percy's cabin whenever he was having a nightmare. The screaming soon stopped, and the god left. Now, Apollo was getting ready for a quest that would either change his immortal life... or end it.

He was wearing dark trousers and a white shirt, underneath golden armour that was handcrafted by Hephaestus. Apollo thought it was strange how the god of blacksmiths didn't charge anything, however he suspected pity played a part in Hephaestus' reasoning. Apollo sighed. He hated pity. Well... pity was fine if he was the one pitying others. But being the one pitied? Nope, nope, nope.

A knock sounded on his door. "May I come in?" Called the quiet voice of Hestia. Apollo opened the door in response, smiling weakly at the goddess. It was almost impossible to put a brave face on in front of her.

"Hestia... hi."

"Hello, Apollo. How are you feeling?" She asked, in a concerned motherly tone that was impossible to lie to.

"I'm... not the best. Honestly, I don't want Percy to go down to Tartarus again..." he murmured sadly. "His last trip almost destroyed him, and he- he had Annabeth. He was with the one he loved. N-not me, I guess... not me." It was taking all of Apollo's strength not to break down at those words. No matter if Percy loved him back or not, he had to stay strong and be there. He couldn't leave him. And he didn't plan to.

Hestia nodded. "It can be hard, seeing those we love in pain."

Those we love? He thought. How had she known?

"It's fairly obvious, 'Pollo." The goddess smiled. "Besides, the hearth sees and knows all. Anyways, that's not why I came here. Zeus sent me. He told me to tell you that a complication has revealed itself, and you will now meet Percy in Tartarus instead of Olympus. Poseidon is with him now."

Apollo frowned. "Why? What happened?" It was unlike Zeus to change his mind like this, and even more unlike Poseidon to visit his son randomly. Normally, the sea god settled for an IM, or sent a messenger. And that was only if circumstances were dire.

"Apollo..." Hestia sighed. "The poor boy tried to hurt himself again. And he needed help. So Poseidon is healing him, and it was settled that you'd meet him in Tartarus to save Percy the trip to Olympus. Chiron and Poseidon can work together to open the pit, and then the plan will continue on as normal."

Tried to hurt himself...

Apollo nodded, his thoughts racing. He gave Hestia a smile, hoping it masked his inner panic. "Thank you, Hestia. I'll see you... when this is all over." He waved his hand, dismissing her, and turned around to finish suiting up.

After he had done so, he poofed to the meeting area. Without even glancing up, Zeus opened the pit. A few of the Olympians sniffled, and Hera even wiped her eyes.

"Good luck, my son." Zeus said gravely, and Apollo stepped into the pit, bracing himself for a long fall...

~~~

Percy wasn't thinking. It was easier to live that way. His arm dully throbbed where he had cut it, but he paid no attention to it. He was used to pain. He looked over at his father, who was perched on the end of his bed in Cabin 3 with his head in his hands.

"...why, Perce?"

"You've lost the right to call me that." Was all Percy responded with, in a tired voice. All he wanted was to fall asleep. It sounded so easy, but that was something Percy had struggled with since the last battle against Gaea. Since he watched all of his friends die, with the exception of Will and Nico. Who hadn't been seen since that breakfast.

Poseidon flinched. "Alright, Percy. We can have this discussion when you come back, okay?"

Percy noticed that his father had said 'when' and not 'if'. His heart panged. That's another to add to the list of people who will be hurt when he didn't return from Tartarus. With a curt nod, he stood and started putting his armour on. The bandages on his arm were tight and sterile, and done to the best of Chiron's ability. Since Will had gone missing, there were no Apollo kids left to work in the infirmary.

His leather and bronze armour was perfectly fitted, as was his white shirt and dark trousers. Percy couldn't help but wonder if he looked okay, even thought of smoothing out his hair to meet Apollo. With an annoyed tsk tsk at himself, he rolled his eyes and turned to Poseidon.

"I'm ready to go now." He told the sea god.

Poseidon cleared his throat. "Um... well there's been a slight change of plans. Apollo will meet you down there, since it was decided a trip to Olympus wasn't in the best ideals for you health."

Percy snorted. Olympus wasn't okay, but Tartarus was? Gotta admire Zeus' logic, eh?

"So, you'll go straight to Tartarus from here." Poseidon continued. "And carry on your quest from then. All good? Good. Chiron and I will see you off. Well, down."

With that, Poseidon walked out of Cabin 3. And Percy followed. Like an idiot with a death wish (a pretty accurate description of him at this point in time).

They met Chiron at the border. It was at this point Percy had started to tune out, forget what was going on. He tried to emotionally separate himself from all he loved as his father clapped him on the back and Chiron shook his hand. With barely a second thought, Percy stepped into the pit.

Deja vu, much??

(1008 words - sorry it's on the shorter side)