Chapter 14: Before the storm

•••

•••

Irene entered the house. The family was in the living room. The other vampires should be out hunting, strengthening one last time before the confrontation.

As Irene stepped into the living room, Renesmee left her father's side to run to Irene. She was holding a light brown bag.

"This is for you." Renesmee smiled, handing the bag to Irene. The latter frowned but still took it. She noticed the others were smiling too. Irene looked suspiciously to her brother who just motioned her to open the bag.

"What are you so wary for? You have a stone like body." Emmett joked. Irene chuckled.

Irene looked inside the brown paper bag. It was a starlet leather like fabric. Irene frowned once again and took the fabric. Then she realised what it was. A long scarlet coat. Irene smiled. Red had always been her color. Even before she became a vampire. For some reason, she wasn't even surprised when she first used her power to see it red. Red is the color of love and anger, passion and wrath, strength and sensitivity, courage and rage, and radiance and determination. Red was her color, what represented her the most. Red is Irene, Irene is red.

"It's your birthday gift." Renesmee cheerfully added.

"My birthday gift?" Irene repeated, confused. She stopped celebrating her birthday long ago, but she knew it wasn't her birthday.

"Yes! Two months ago it was daddy's birthday so it was yours too." The child smiled.

"Renesmee chose it with Alice's help." Rosalie said.

"You have this for two months?" Irene asked, surprised.

"We were confident we would cross path again." Carlisle smiled.

"Try it on, dear." Esmee gently said.

Irene put the paper bag down and removed her long black coat. She laid it on the arm of the sofa and put on the red coat. She slid her slender arms in the cold and fresh leather sleeves. It was a perfect fit. It wasn't too loose nor too tight. She could perfectly move. The scarlet fabric was falling like a train, stopping just above her knee cap. The color was matching the red top she wore underneath her usual black coat.

Irene felt good in this coat. She felt like everything was in place now. Her past and present were now connected.

"You're more than beautiful." Irene heard Esmee's said. She smiled to her then turned to Renesmee.

"Thank you, little one." Irene hugged her niece who cheerfully hugged her back.

"Alice would be so glad." Bella said. Renesmee and Irene broke away.

"Yeah," Rosalie agreed. "She wouldn't stop complaining about how old your old jacket was. You needed an "update"". She added, giggling. Irene chuckled. It was so Alice to say such a thing.