Chapter 15: Confrontation

•••

•••

The atmosphere was tensed, thick, filled with apprehension, nervousness, anxiety.

The leader of the Cullen coven looked a moment at Esmee, then let go of her hand. By the look on Esmee's face, she hated that. She wanted to feel his cold hand in hers. In that way, she knew he was with her, by her side, out of danger, alive.

The once Stregone Benefico walked ahead, making his way to stand steps in front of the Tony, Bella, Renesmee and Seth.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner." Carlisle politely said.

"Fair words, Carlisle." Aro said in a wispy voice. "But a little out of place, given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken."

"We see the child." Caius snarled. "Do not treat us as fools."

Irene had never liked Caius. He enjoyed ruling in terror. He didn't care about being contradicted or being proven false. All he wanted was destruction and power. He and Aro were a good pair for that. They would find any reason, even the dumbest one just to justify their slaughters. They love death.

"She is not an immortal!" Carlisle exclaimed. "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius snapped.

"I will collect every facet of the truth." Aro's voice hardened. "But from someone more central to the story." He then turned to Tony.

"Tony, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." He continued, extending his hand, inviting him to come and show him his thoughts.

Irene glanced at her brother. He patted his daughter's head and looked at Bella, then Irene, before walking to Aro. Anxiety and stress rose even more in Irene. As Tony made his way to Aro, Irene noticed Jane carefully observing him. Irene feared she would use her power on him. It seemed that Bella though the same as she used her shield to protect Tony. But he was too far, she couldn't reach him.

When Tony finally reached Aro, he gave his hand to the leader of the Volturi. Tony seemed stiffed and uneasy. Who wouldn't be? No one would like to share every thought they ever had with someone like Aro. Vile and sick. The leader of the Italian coven took Tony's hand in his and by his expression, all understood he was seeing Tony's thoughts. The more it lasted, the more Aro's wicked smile grew.

Tony retired his hand as Aro looked at Renesmee, then at Tony again.

"I'd like to meet her." Aro said, almost pleading.

Tony turned and looked at Bella and Renesmee. Bella understood immediately. She seemed reluctant, but she, along with Renesmee and Seth walked to Edward. Bella then stopped and looked at Emmett, silently asking him to come as backup. Emmett joined and they all made their way to Aro. Irene watched them all carefully, preparing herself to the unexpected.