Violets and Purples | Eugene Roe

soulmate au! based off of Kaleidoscope by A Great Big World. literally got fanfic vibes from it 5 seconds in. maybe listen to it while reading?

~~~

Eugene watched you and the grandchildren with a soft, reminiscent smile. They were listening to you with rapt attention, awed expressions on their faces as you told them about your and Eugene's days in the war. Even the teenaged child was listening, despite them looking indifferent to the stories.

You told of Eugene's heroic job; how he was always took care of the men, how he always watched over them, how he always made sure they were at their best--er, as best as they could be in a war-torn landscape. And you told of the stories where Eugene was almost hit, how he didn't even flinch at the bullets and explosions overhead and the dirt flying everywhere.

"That's 'cause you were there, chéri." he interjected. "You were like my guardian angel. Was never hurt when you were near me."

"Hmm, who was your angel when you went on missions without me, then?"

"You, still. If you were there, even in spirit, nothing could touch me."

You beamed at him, then turned back to the children. "Your grandfather wasn't so open like that when we were fighting."

"He wasn't?!" the youngest one exclaimed. "But he's got so much energy now! He's always chasing us around! Always talkative." Her eyes widened and she smiled apologetically at Eugene. "No offense, Grandpa. Please keep playing with us. Mama and Papa are so boring."

He only laughed, and you nodded. "Your grandfather was a quiet boy..."

Eugene smiled when remembered you used to be quiet as well, drifting into his memories while you kept narrating.

~

Dull, muted colors. That's all Eugene saw. He knew what the colors were, they just weren't the right...hue. Most of the other troopers in Easy had already met their soulmates or gotten married. There was a small handful of others like him that hadn't, though.

You were one such soldier. You were much like Shifty, quiet but friendly, and Eugene always found himself smiling when you were around. He didn't know why. Maybe it was because you were like him, and it was easy to connect with you in the silences that you shared. Eugene felt he spoke more in the comfortable silence he spent with you than in his whole time at Toccoa and Mackall.

You were helping him count and organize supplies today. You always hung out by the medical tent. Come to think of it, you were always around him when he seemed to be alone. Not that he didn't appreciate the company. It was rather nice to be in the company of someone who understood how silences still spoke volumes. 

"Pass me those K-rations?" Eugene pointed to a stack of loose rations at the end of the tent. 

You nodded and retrieved them, handing them off to him. His fingers brushed against yours in the exchange, and colors suddenly burst from where you touched. He froze, his eyes wide as he watched them burst and pop, swirling every which way from your touching fingers.

He turned his gaze away from the colors and looked at you. A smile grew across his face as he watched the childlike wonder morph to pure happiness in your expression. The colors swirling around you looked  so much more vibrant, Eugene wasn't sure if it was the newfound color vision or if it were you that seemed to brighten the room wherever you went.

When the color swirls drifted away and the new colors settled in, you turned to him.

"Well, hello again, Eugene." you cradled his cheek and he noted how pretty your eyes were. They were a pretty hue, and they held so many unspoken thoughts. Your hand moved to his hair and you carded your fingers through it. Eugene closed his eyes and let himself melt into your touch.