Close Quarters | Ron Speirs

Trying my hand at the awkward "we have to hide in a really tiny closet to get away from the bad guys" trope. Sarcastic-ish, shorter, gender neutral reader. Some details don't line up with the setting of the show. Some curse words.

~~~

"This was totally a bad idea." you muttered as you rooted through some drawers.

"This was totally your idea." Ron's voice called back in the darkness.

How you managed to even think of breaking into a supposed officer's house was beyond you. How you managed to convince your best friend Ron Speirs to get in on it was also equally shocking.

"But you agreed to it! I just said I was bored and wanted to go do something fun, and you said, 'Why don't we go loot around?'" You tried impersonating Ron as best you could, grinning when he shook his head, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"I ne--oh, forget it." Ron sighed, stuffing a fancy pocketknife into his pocket. "Come on, we should get out before the owner gets home. Don't wanna have any awkward confrontations."

The front door opening and closing and the lights flickering on cut his words short and you slapped your forehead.

"Oh, shut the front door." you groaned, looking around. Nowhere to hide. Nowhere to go. Well, you could jump out the window, but you'd risk 1) breaking the window and 2) drawing attention to your and Ron's escape. You could also try and hide upstairs or something, or just risk splitting off from Ron to decrease your chances of the both of you dying. But you felt you would probably panic if someone wasn't there to reassure you that you would make it out.

You spotted a door off to the side, one inconspicuous enough to keep you and Ron safe for now. Most likely a closet of sorts. You threw open the door, seeing that it was indeed a closet empty enough to hold...people. Just how many people would fit in it a whole other matter.

"Ron! Over here!"

It took one glance for Ron to vehemently shake his head. "Nuh-uh. I'm not getting in there. We're not gonna fit."

"Well, I don't see any other options for you right now other than getting a pistol to the face and a bullet in your brain!"

"Look, they're probably in the kitchen or living room or something, so can't we just walk out the front door like we did earlier?"

You blew hot air out of your nose. "Okay. Fine. But the moment I hear footsteps start walking our way--"

The luck gods must have decided to mess with you and Ron that night because the sound of boot-clad feet echoed from somewhere towards the back of the house, and they seemed to be moving towards the large dining room.

The large dining room that you and Ron happened to be in at the moment.

"Oh, for fuck's sake." Ron grumbled as you gave him an 'I told you so' look.

The both of you rushed over to the closet and dashed in, backs pressed against the sides of the closet. You let out a quiet exhale when the door closed behind you right as the officer and appeared right around the corner and sat down at the table.

You were going to be stuck here for a while.

"I would just like to say, you are an absolute idiot for not convincing me to not rob an officer's house." you grumbled.

"So this is my fault? I'm not the one who agreed to looting a house!"

"Nor am I the one who suggested doing said looting!" You pinched the bridge of your nose. "You're my best friend, Ron, you're supposed to stop me from doing this kind of stuff."

"Look, you said you wanted to do something, so I just said something that came to mind. It's not my fault you agreed to it."

You poked a finger to his chest, and opened your mouth to retort, but Ron gently removed your hand from his chest and shook his head.

"Later." was all he said. "You can yell at me later, when we're not hiding in a closet."

You huffed and tried moving towards the door so you and Ron weren't pressed up against each other, but he yanked you back towards the shadows of the closet.

"Slatted doors are not your friend right now. Trust me, we're going to get out of this, okay?"

You frowned and leaned your head back against the wall. "We'd better. I didn't sign up for getting stuck in a closet with my attractive best friend."

A pause.

"Shit."

"Your what now?"

You buried your face in your hands in embarrassment. "Didn't mean to say that. Forget I said anything."

Ron nodded, but studied at you with a contemplative look. You narrowed your eyes at him in warning. "I mean it, Ron."

It seemed like forever, but you probably were stuck in the closet for about another 20 minutes before the officer and his acquaintance left the room, switching the lights off.

"Oh thank fuck. Let's get outta here." you made to leave, but Ron yanked you back for a second time. You really did not want to face Ron after your slip-up.

"We gotta wait until we're sure they won't come back. Then we can leave."

You sighed in annoyance but did as he said.

When you finally left the house, Ron hoisted you on his back and began the trek back to your quarters.

"Get some sleep, we probably won't have much time to do that once we get back."

"What about you? You won't get much sleep." your words came out quietly and mushed together.

"Don't worry about me, sweetheart." he replied. He would gladly sacrifice sleep if it meant he could to take care of you. He'd take that over silver or valuables any day.

"Thanks, Ron. Love you, Ron." you hummed, laying your head on his shoulder. You were out within seconds.

Ron smiled, pausing for a moment before whispering back, "I love you, too, (Y/N)."

He'd talk about his feelings later.