Chapter 25

I can't sleep. I was rudely woken up two hours ago by the increasing need to vomit. I thought nausea would have stopped by now, but I guess every pregnancy is different.

I try to close my eyes and block out the world, but nothing is working. I can hear the world waking up outside the window, birds chirping and border patrol howling.

Mason's soft snores are the only sound in the room before I let out a quiet frustrated groan. I throw the covers off myself and stand up. With a quick glance to check I haven't woken Mason; I get up and tiptoe out of the room.

After I have successfully shut the door silently, I pull on some shoes and head towards the front door. A quick glance at the clock on the wall shows it's just gone half five.

I leave our place and head downstairs towards outside. The autumn leaves crunch beneath my feet as I follow one of the forest trails. Autumn will be over in a few days and then winter will bring consistent rain or snow.

A few guards are wondering round at this hour probably checking the territory borders. Some have spotted me and nod in respect.

I just have to hope that they don't wake Mason. I know I shouldn't be out alone but I'm not going far and it's not like there isn't anyone around.

After last night, I need a nice walk on my own anyway. Dinner with our families went well overall. Everyone seemed to get along great especially Rebecca and my mother.

They kept chitchatting about everything from our embarrassing childhood stories to old romances. Arden had apologised to me, but I knew that Jasmin had forced him too.

The glares he kept sending me during dinner told me as much. However, he needs to watch himself while he is here. Mason had noticed his disrespect towards me, and he grew increasingly angrier through the evening.

I thought he was going to snap. Thankfully, I'm getting a lot better at knowing how to calm him down.

Slowly, Mason and I are getting used to everything that's come with this mate bond as well as the pregnancy.

It is supposed to snow today. I can feel the slight chill in the air and feel the need for my fur.

Once I get to the forest edge, I strip off Mason's shirt and my leggings and shift into my wolf form. My light brown fur covers my body and soon I land on my four paws.

I enjoy the feeling of the wind through my fur as I stand there for a moment. I am going to miss this soon. The doctor told me that I am fine to shift for a few more weeks until just before the third trimester.

I didn't like hearing that. It's like blocking off a part of me. However, if it keeps my baby safe then that's what I'll do.

I sniff the air, trying to catch the scent of anything unusual but all I smell is pack members. At this hour there should be a few guards checking the woods and border control will be swapping shifts.

Not a second later, I take off into the forest. The dirt feels amazing beneath my feet as I jump and dodge through the trees. The rising sun shines through the clouds, making the entire forest turn a fizzy orange.

It's breath-taking.

I keep running and running until my lungs burn and my feet ache. After a few more miles I finally give into my body and come to stop in the middle of the team of trees.