Chapter Ninety-Six

It wasn't until noontime several hours later, when Olive walked down the stairs feeling rested after a few extra hours of sleep and a shower, that she understood why the Order meeting had run so late the night before.

She walked in the kitchen to see Ron and Hermione, who were trying to contain their anger as they had a heated conversation with Remus, who didn't look happy at all himself. Sirius watched the argument, looking rather miffed about something himself.

Olive hoped it wasn't from when he caught her and George in the hallway earlier...

"That's completely unfair." Hermione said with a frown, "Did they even say why? Did they even-"

"I'm telling you all I know." Remus held his hands up in defense, "From what Arthur's contact told us, the Trace detected that he used magic in front of a muggle. We don't know the circumstances."

"Obviously he must have had good reason." Ron grumbled, "He may be an idiot sometimes, but he's not stupid."

Olive was about to turn around and leave, but she was caught.

"Looks like someone's finally awake." Remus looked as if he desperately wanted to end the argument, and Olive's presence was the perfect distraction.

However, the Ravenclaw, who had heard enough of the conversation to want to know what was going on, stood in the doorway with raised brows.

"What's... going on?" She asked, "Did something happen?"

"Nothing-" Remus began, but was completely interrupted by Ron and Hermione.

"Harry's been expelled from Hogwarts." Hermione explained, "Apparently-"

"He was caught using a patronus charm in front of his cousin." Ron finished, his cheeks flushed from his annoyance with the situation. He ignored the look Hermione was giving him for interrupting her.

"What?" Olive turned to Remus, who looked as if he did not want to have this conversation anymore, "How did that even happen? Did you guys hear from him?"

Her focus was still on the boy in question's two best friends, who knew him better than anyone who was currently living under this roof.

"We haven't been able to write to him at all." Hermione shook her head, "Dumbledore told us we couldn't send him any letters."

"Which, maybe if we were able to, might have prevented this from happening." Ron added, "He probably thinks we're ignoring him or something."

Olive nodded slowly, "Is he okay?"

"We don't know."

Her eyes landed on the two adults in the room, who were staring at her as if waiting for the same argument Ron and Hermione had given them just before she walked in.

"So, let me get this straight." Olive sat down, running a hand through her damp curls, "Right after what is probably the most traumatic time of his life, Dumbledore has decided to keep Harry in the dark about everything. He won't even let his two best friends write him?"

"More or less." Sirius agreed.

"And who thought this was okay?" She asked no one in particular, a hint of agitation in her voice.

Olive may not have been particularly close with Harry, but she knew enough to know that now might not have been the best of times to completely cut him off from the Wizarding World. From what Ginny and Hermione have mentioned in their conversations over the summer, he didn't exactly live in a safe, comforting household.

"Dumbledore thought it was best in order to protect Harry." Remus explained after a long, awkward silence, "He hasn't exactly been talked about in a positive light since the TriWizard Tournament concluded last month."