25 | Beginning (II)

Xanthy spotted Cyrdel as she took the corridor Reeca pointed her to

Xanthy spotted Cyrdel as she took the corridor Reeca pointed her to. The brownie passed her by, hefting at least three boxes full of various metallic things. She opened her mouth. "Cyrdel, hey," Xanthy said. Cyrdel froze on his tracks. Then, he blinked and set the boxes down.

"Hey, Xanthy," Cyrdel scratched his neck. "What's up?"

It was unlike him to talk in his natural Northern accent that it shocked Xanthy for a while. She shook her head clear. "I just...wanted to talk."

Cyrdel raised an eyebrow. "Okay," he glanced at his boxes. "About what?"

"Ravalee."

The name twung the awkward air between the two of them. Cyrdel looked like he had just been punched in the gut. "Oh, Ravalee...yeah. Sure," Cyrdel shoved his hand into his hair and tousled it. "What about her?"

"Are you angry at me?" Xanthy said. "I mean, I can see it since you've avoided all around the camp and you won't even look at me now..."

"I see her every time I look at you," Cyrdel whispered. His head hung lower than Xanthy thought possible. Were brownie necks that flexible? "I can't help it."

Of course, he would have. She had Ravalee's face. It would be a painful reminder every time. "I'm...sorry," Xanthy whispered. "I didn't want things to turn out this way."

Cyrdel blew a shaky breath. "I didn't want to, either," he raised his head to meet Xanthy's stare. "But I have to respect Ravalee's decision. She chose this."

Xanthy hobbled towards Cyrdel and wrapped her arms around him. She felt him tense up. "If anything, Ravalee was a dear friend to me, too," she said. "I'm so sorry, Cyr."

Cyrdel melted into her embrace. Xanthy hit something by calling him by that name. "F-for a while," he muttered against her neck. "Can I pretend that you're Ravalee?"

"Of course."

Cyrdel tightened his embrace. "Farewell, Rav," his tone was so soft it only brough fresh tears in Xanthy's eyes. "You'll always be the one for me."

Xanthy closed her eyes, letting the tears fall from her eyes and down her cheeks. Cyrdel let her go and wiped her tears with his thumb. "You look good with that hair, by the way," he said as he kissed her forehead as a mother would. "And I'm saying that to you, Xanthy."

Xanthy sniffled. "Thanks, Cyrdel. Ravalee loves you so, so much."

Cyrdel chuckled despite his tear-stricken face. "I know," he picked up his boxes before giving her one last look. "I know."

With that, they went their separate ways. Would it be for a while...or for eternity?

or for eternity?