Afterword

I closed my laptop, leaned back against my seat, and sighed. I put my arm atop my eyes to block the lights from the ceiling. It's over. Finally. I groaned and stretched my arms. A saleslady from the tourist chocolate stand looked at me strangely. I gave her a tired smile. Damn, I was sleepy.

My butt was sore from hours of sitting on a plane and my neck felt like it could break from my shoulders any time soon. I spent the whole 24-hour flight cooped up on my laptop, typing like hell in order to finish transcribing this last journal.

While waiting for connecting flights from other cities, I caught a few hours of sleep and then I'm back on transcribing again on the plane. I landed in Auckland, New Zealand a couple of hours ago and using Jaq's gifted credit card, bought myself a single ticket back to the Philippines.

Guilt and shame curled at the base of my stomach. I must have owed Jaq a million dollars already and here I was, adding some more. How would Jaq even pay for all of that? Why was she even giving out credit cards? Denny sure scored a goal.

Anyway, free wi-fi ran out two hours ago and all that's left was to wait for my flight. I should go and take a bath. I stank. I glanced at the journals piled at the table beside my turned off laptop.

The contents of the journals were all in my cloud storage so I don't need these buggers anymore. I stretched my neck left and right and relished the cracking sound that came with it. Ah. This has been a long day.

It's another sixteen hours to NAIA so I should catch up on sleep on the way. Right now, food, a bath, and getting rid of the journals. I stood up and packed my laptop into my meager suitcase. The trolley gave a satisfying shiiik as I yanked the handle up. I hooked my finger on my hair tie and pulled. Black hair fell in straight waves.

It's like I'm in a teen fiction book with this get up. It's a shame I couldn't wear shades because of my glasses.

I shook my head and gripped the journals underneath my arm. Yanking my suitcase with me, I strolled towards the comfort room to freshen up. I passed all sorts of people on my way. Some talked on their phones, others were with their families. Casual clothes, formal attires, all of us have something in common—baggage. Whether it's physical or not, I knew everyone has it. Especially in an airport.

I passed hubs filled with tables and chairs. Staff flitted around, wearing their uniforms and smiling at passing tourists. Guards patrolled their areas. The lights made my head pound. Ugh. I needed coffee.

I passed a group of different colored trash bins pressed against a wall. They waved at me like tiny devils waiting to be fed. I looked at the journals in my hands then at the bins. Were these journals recyclables?

Well, whatever. I strode towards the bins and shoved the journals into the middle bin without looking at what kind of trash was supposed to go into there. Farewell. It's been a journey. I would have whistled as I walked away. Good riddance.

I left the bins and entered the nearest restroom. I marveled at its apparent modern design as I turned on a faucet. Bearing down, I splashed water into my face and looked at myself in the mirrors. I definitely looked older. My hair was a mess and my skin had never been this dry. Bloodshot brown eyes stared back at me. The circles below them were heavier than my suitcase and my weight combined.

I tugged my jacket close and sighed. I would be back home soon and it would be like before. The journals were gone. Surely the creatures would stop chasing me around. I gasped, startling the people coming out of the cubicles.

Would they chase whoever got those accidentally? Oh no. I contemplated going back there. Oh, God...why was I even worrying about that? I shrugged and snickered to myself. Not my problem anymore. I was free and should act like it.