Chapter 6 - Lucas Maxwell

Lucas Maxwell was anxious. In fact, he was becoming paranoid.

Something doesn't feel right. What's going on? She has been trying her best to act normally, but she cannot fool him.

The way her body moved. Her eye contact. The slight change in her voice. Her breathing pattern. He even heard her heart beats differently than usual.

Someone else might not notice, but his trained and keen senses as a swordmaster can detect all these subtle changes.

She was hiding something.

Ah, it's driving me crazy!

When he was finally in his room, Lucas unclenched his left hand. There was a crumpled, almost burnt, tiny piece of purple paper on his palm. He had to pretend to fall to quickly picked it without being noticed by Allyssa.

He called his aide, Vince. He handed over the paper to him.

"Find out what that was. Discreetly. As soon as possible."

"I understand, my lord!"

He didn't know what that paper was, but his sword aura is sensitive to mana. He can feel a faint trace of magic imbued in it.

She's probably was seeing someone else.

They probably have been exchanging letters using this magic imbued paper secretly. Maybe it was a special paper that allows only the sender and recipient read the contents?

He must be a talented magician, then?

Lucas mind was running wild. He can feel his heart clenched. It hurt.

I can't lose her to anybody else, even if my opponent was the world strongest magician! She's mine!

Allyssa Reynold.

The woman who got him under her thumb.

He remembered the first time he met her.

It was the year he debuted into society. He came to the capital the first time. He's been avoiding coming to Eos. He hated the idea of socializing. That was why he had been faithful to his knight training.

But that year, the crown prince of Eos also debuted. And he had invited Lucas to his party. An invitation Lucas couldn't refuse.

He remembered her, staring fiercely at him all the time. He wondered why, but he at least knew that the girl did it unconsciously. Her fierce stare did not match her appearance at all. She was a graceful beauty with her slightly wavy long black hair and her cute droopy dark pink eyes that looked like a small animal's. She caught his attention.

Lucas Maxwell was charmed by her.

"I stared at you because you were so handsome!" she told him years later.

He did not see her again until two years later, when she debuted. By then, she had become more beautiful. And he unknowingly had a reputation of being a famous womanizer.

Lucas didn't know how it started. It wasn't even his fault. He was just following his family's conduct of the knights: To treat women with respect. To be gentle and polite to women. To not refuse if a woman asks for a favor.

Before he knew it, he had been accepting numerous requests from various women to be their partner for the balls and parties. Because of his gentlemanly charming nature when speaking with women, he was called a flirt. He was rumored to be sleeping around with women.

He was worried about what she might think of him, but, for the first time ever, he was thankful for those rumors.

"Lucas Maxwell. I heard you like to play around with women. If you allow me, I would like to be one of those women you play with."