[20] - Memory Lane

"You do know it's insane if we do that, right?" Ruth laughed, following after Aqua's excited sprint.

"Yes." She panted. "But you do know all the memories we'd make, right?"

The two climbed up the gates, their hands almost losing their grip on the chaste metal. Aqua had already made it far up, Ruth unable to match her strength.

"Aqua!" A deep voice called, urgency overpowering its tone.

"Walter?" As she turned her head to locate the boy, a sharp pain ignited within her lower back, so sudden and so pronounced it made her groan, her fingers slipping. Her skin tore, warm blood pooling out of the gash.

"Hold on," he yelled, speeding up to reach his friend before she could fall. His efforts fell down to failure when a hand covered his mouth and struck him down to the mud.

Jayden felt himself return to his body, regaining his senses as he coaxed his eyes open against the light. He couldn't make out much but a blurry image of Aqua's hotel room, where they last were, but he could see her silhouette standing in front of the dresser, her back to him.

He got up and slowly walked towards her, looking over her shoulder to see her hands fiddling with the necklace.

She could sense him. But she felt so out of touch with her emotions she couldn't uphold her usual demeanor. "How did she get it?"

Jayden frowned at her tearful tone. He glanced at her then back at the necklace. "In her drawer. She just found it there, I don't know."

Aqua slammed her fist down and turned around to face him, unaffected by their close proximity. "How could she find this of all things in her drawer just like that?" She growled. Seeing Jayden take a cautious step away from her had her release a sigh, her tone softening. "Jayden... do you know what this is? To me?"

"Would you tell me if I asked?"

She let out a humorless chuckle. "I won't leave you hanging this time."

"Okay then! Sorry but you bet I'm taking advantage of that." Her vulnerability was a golden ticket to his curiosity. And though he genuinely wanted to exploit it for his sake, he couldn't. He wanted to understand things more, yes, but in her state? No.

What he'd just said was no more than a joke to lighten the atmosphere when in reality, he never planned on doing so. Because being vulnerable is like being drunk. People tend to overshare without being too conscious of it, which leaves room for so much regret after, especially if what they'd shared was something they intended to keep for themselves. A secret they hoped to take to the grave.

She gave a weak smile. "Alright. As you please."

"Would you... like to go on a walk? The room is stuffy."

"What? No, it's not. Besides..." She trailed off, "You just want to go on a walk, don't you?"

He grinned, "You got me."

"Unbelievable," she whispered to herself, the smile unable to leave her face as she watched him head for the door. Before he could open it, she spoke, stopping him. "I can see right through you, you know?"

"And?" He faced her, an eyebrow raised, mock defiance all over his expression. "What do you see?"

"Jayden, I want to share things with you. Unlike you, humans, I can very well control how much I share."

"Do you just insult everyone at every chance you get?"

This boy... is so much like someone I've known, Aqua thought. Pushing that realization aside, she slowly nodded. "Yes, yes, I do. Now, where would you like me to begin?"

"Begin with what you are. Specifically, what powers do you hold?"

"I'm a demi-God. One that holds almost all powers on this Earth."

"And what exactly are those powers?"

"Fire." She manifested a flame between her fingers. "Water." A flow appeared in a small vortex above her palm. "Air." She ran a breeze towards Jayden, a soft wind that blew at his hair. "And Earth." The ground shook lightly beneath their feet and Jayden stared at her in awe.

Surely, someone who had this much power had every right to be as arrogant.

"Woah... that's all the elements! What else do you have?"

"Healing. And some self-taught magic." She shrugged, watching him eye her as if she was crazy for doing so.

"Hold on-" His voice faded and the memory she wished never existed flashed before her, the pain it induced lingering.

"Hold on," he yelled, speeding up to reach his friend before she could fall. His efforts fell down to failure when a hand covered his mouth and struck him down to the mud.

"Aqua, are you with me?" Jayden questioned.

"Walter..." she whispered.