[12] - Insincere Apology

"Jayden!"

He looked up, his lips stretching into a smile when he saw Brooke walk in through the glass doors, the bells above chiming a soft melody. He opened the sink and washed his hands, wiping them down on his apron.

"It's been a while since you've opened up the café," she said, leaning onto the countertop. A bright smile decorated her face as she took in the powerful scent of coffee. "When I heard from Allen, I had to come right away."

Jayden chuckled. "Well, can I get you anything?"

"An espresso would be fine." Brooke shook her hair back, watching Jayden turn to the machine before she glanced around the café. The pearly white walls and flooring contrasted deeply with the mahogany decorations, creating nothing but an artistic scene that appealed to the eyes. As she pondered upon how much she missed this place, she caught a glimpse of a familiar face sitting by the far corner, a book in hand.

It was still early in the morning and barely anyone was around, yet the woman she'd met at the party carried herself with grace. Even her outfit was so strikingly fancy it was impossible to lose sight of it or look away.

"There you go, Bee." He slid the coffee cup across the table, catching her off guard. Upon noticing her faltering smile, Jayden glanced at Aqua then back at Brooke. "Please, don't mind her," he said, his tone sympathetic.

She shrugged. "You know? She seems lonely." She lifted the cup to her lips and took a sip. "Who is she?"

"A guest." Reminiscing the annihilation of Rivandia, which he witnessed from beginning to end, he shook his head. "Well, she was a guest. Right now, she's a tenant at the hotel for God knows how long."

"Is that even possible?" She scrunched her nose, setting the cup down to grab a packet of sugar.

"Yeah, if you pay enough for it. But the thing is she's not paying for anything at all."

"Oh come on, Jay. You don't need the extra money. You and your dad are doing fine without whatever she can give."

"I could care less about the money, you know that. It's just you don't get how she's like. The last thing I want is for her ego to make her think she owns both, the hotel and the café."

Aqua smirked, her chair scraping against the floor, her heels the only sound that followed as she marched towards them, her head raised high. "It is not exactly proper to speak of someone that way, Jay."

Jayden was rendered speechless, and before he had the chance to make up an excuse, Brooke interfered, having Aqua's gaze shift from him to her instead.

"I'm Brooke. Nice to meet you...?"

"Aqua."

While the two were caught up in a staredown, Jayden took the chance to slip away, tending to the newer customers that came in.

"I heavily apologize for being rude at the party."

The second he heard those words, his body lazed, momentarily forgetting what he was supposed to be doing. He slightly turned to check if it was truly Aqua who'd spoken and to his surprise, it was.

"Oh no, it's okay." Brooke waved it off, her cheeks flushing a light pink.

Back then, she would've taken the apology like she deserved it but now, whether she did or not, she would shy away from it. Brooke had only recently returned to their hometown after two agonizing years of departure. She was clearly not used to the people here, seemingly forgetting just how nice Athens truly is compared to where she has been.

"No really." She gently placed her hand upon Brooke's shoulder. "I was tired that night, a little irritable too. I didn't know what I was saying."

"I don't want you to worry about it." She furiously shook her head, feeling inferior to Aqua's height towering a bit over her. "I forgave you the same night. You seemed really upset so—"

"I wasn't upset." Aqua sneered, a frown creasing her forehead.

"What?" Her face fell, her eyes shortly going round.

Aqua regained her composure and plastered on a friendly expression, dismissing the moment with a solemn shake of her head. "Nothing."

"If you excuse me, I'll use the bathroom real quick," Brooke said, gathering up her purse, her fingers trembling. The crystal against Brooke's delicate skin suddenly seemed to have been turned into a lump of burning coal. It felt oddly lighter; however, ten times rougher. It was as if it sandpapered her collarbones without a sign of mercy. And she needed it off.

"Of course."

One last feeble attempt to grin and she was on her way to the bathroom in a rather hasty manner, unaware of the cold stare that was one second away of piercing her skull.

"Hey."

Aqua turned her head to face Jayden, who stood with a broad smile behind the counter.

"Thank you," he paused, "for being nice about it."

"You saw me free an entire town the past morning. I'm taking offence that you think bad about me, Jayden."

"It's— it's not like that..." He rubbed the back of his neck, a sheepish look on his face. "I just made irrational judgments about you. Which I shouldn't have. So, I'm sorry as well."

Aqua smiled. "I'm gonna... use the bathroom real quick."