[14] - Hit List?

Aqua took a seat on her bed, the television playing in the background as she practiced her magic; the spell she was so eager to cast.

An impatient knock on the door had the gyres of light atop her palms spasm, glitching a little before she allowed them to vanish.

With a frustrated sigh, she slid off the bed, her dress almost getting stuck beneath her heels.

She pulled the door open. "What?"

Jayden faced her, a frown upon his features. "She's in the hospital because of you."

"How did you know?" Aqua turned around, making her way back to the softness of the blankets.

"That's not the point!" He followed her in, the door automatically locking after him. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"Come on, Jayden. I thought you were tougher than this." She rolled her eyes. "At least she's not dead. Be grateful."

"Be grateful?" He paused, too shocked to process her impassiveness. "Be grateful? Are you serious? She's in the hospital for God's sake. Even the doctors can't figure out what's wrong with her and you dare say something so-" he groaned, finding it useless to argue with her. Unbearable to say the least.

She was so chill and apathetic. As if she hadn't just put a girl in the hospital. Yet there he was, swallowed by an anxious feeling, making him come up with the worst possible case scenarios.

"What do you want me to do then?" Her eyebrows raised in defiance.

"I want you to get her out of your head. Let her be."

She pursed her lips then shook her head, ignorance rolling off of her in waves. "I don't take orders from people."

"Aqua... There was no need to harm her when she's done you nothing wrong. Whatever it is you did, please, take it away."

Nothing?

She felt the need to laugh at his statement.

How dare he say that when Brooke's own soul says otherwise?

"She took my necklace."

"Your necklace? Brooke found that thing in her drawer-"

"I bought it. Five hundred years ago. It was a gift for someone."

"... Five hundred..." He crossed his arms, giving her a bored look. "Is that even a good enough reason to hurt her like this? Oddly childish."

"Listen, buddy. This precious little thing was never hers in the first place." The necklace dangled from between her fingers. "So I have every right to take it."

"That is one stupid logic—"

"Call it what you want. Either way, it's none of your business." Her calm facade was starting to crumble and her anger was more than eager to replace it. Everything he said unnerved her; he lacked knowledge yet entitled himself to judge. An idiotic human trait.

"No, it actually is when you start targeting the ones close to me," Jayden said, crossing his arms across his chest, defensive.

"Oh please," she sneered, "It was only Allen and this girl. Who else do you even have?"

Jayden's face fell, all tension dissipating at the mention of his father, confusion fully taking over. "Wait... Allen? You're out to get him too?"

"I was," she corrected, pushing herself up from the bed, her posture lazy as she walked towards him.

"What the hell is your problem? What do you even do this for?" His jaw pulsed, clenched so tight it almost went numb. His eyes held nothing but a repulsed glint, her image to him, degrading further than it had before.

"No need to overreact, Jayden." She reached out to him upfront, patting his shoulder. "He's not on my hit list anymore."

He shook his head and took a step back, deeming the conversation pointless. She exerted no effort in trying to elaborate, nor was she taking anything seriously. That's why his priorities shifted to Brooke. And his thoughts were overwhelmed by the fact she was clearly the current one on Aqua's 'hit list.'

He had to be with her at all costs; and he definitely had to tell his father to keep an eye out for Aqua. Even if she admitted that she had no intentions of harming him any longer, Jayden distrusted her. Utterly and purely, distrusted her.

* * *

The day has ended. And Jayden spent most of it in the hospital, right beside Brooke's bed. Allen had called him a few moments ago, and was on his way as fast as he could, after he'd finished up a couple of things that held him back.

With a sigh, Jayden reluctantly left to grab himself a cup of coffee, hoping it'd keep him awake further till visiting hours were over. As he passed through the halls, he couldn't help but find it strange seeing how vacant they were. Not one person occupied the seats, nor was anyone paying visits to their loved ones. Even nurses weren't present, which had his forehead crease, his eyes drooping.

As his back gradually vanished out of sight, Brooke came into view, lulled out of her room by an uncanny breeze that arose goosebumps to her skin. Her eyes were open now, and her legs prompted her to follow right behind Aqua's gleaming magic trail.