[10] - The Spell Book

"We've been looking for almost an hour now." Jayden sat on the edge of the bed and undid the buttons of his collar. He'd already taken off the jacket, but the suit was too suffocating. And the room only had one window, which did very little of passing the morning light through let alone fresh air.

He turned to see her pull out a storage chest off a shelf in the depth of the closet. "Guess I spoke too soon," he muttered, getting up to look over her shoulder as she carefully ran her fingers across its rim.

In the blink of an eye, the chest popped open with a soft click, allowing them a clear view to a leather book. Aqua smirked, relishing the newfound pride that surged through her at the sight of it.

She'd tried many times to take it. But her mother would always hold onto it as if her life depended on its pages. Only now did she understand why exactly Aurelia cherished the book so much.

"Call Mather and tell him to get the guards," she said, the order mindlessly coming out of her mouth. She wanted nothing but to be alone with that book, a dozen thought occupying her.

"You seem to forget that I don't know my way around here," Jayden replied, stepping away from her as she turned to him.

"Mather is by the gates. I'm sure you saw where those were, smartass."

He sighed. "Is it only Mather around here? Poor guy." He rolled up his sleeves, leaving her all alone with the curiosity that overwhelmed her.

Aqua's smile never faltered. Her lust for power grew aflame further, the magic within her veins flowing in delight. She pulled the book out of the box, the leather soft to her touch, evidence of how much Aurelia treasured it, even through her endless years.

A blue light emitted from the tips of her finger, setting apart the pages in a swift motion.

Passing the first curling paper, which had nothing but her mother's name written in bold, her eyes lit up.

Spells.

Each and every page harbored a magic spell written in thick black ink, activated by her mother's blood.

It was a wonder how none of those spells were made to end her. In fact, they were plain, simple even and quite random. However, one certainly caught her attention and provoked a thought. A thought that was soon to be put into action.

"I can't find him." Jayden's sudden words made her snap the book shut, lest he caught the sight of crimson.

"Then ring the bells."

"Those huge bells at the top?"

"Yes." A sigh of frustration left her lips.

She was more than eager to leave Rivandia Aesilas. This town had no place in her heart, and she was ready to make sure it'd have no place on Earth either.

Jayden retreated once more, and it didn't last long till the bells were heard. Loud and clear.

Aqua pulled open the wooden doors to the balcony, a high-pitched creak making her scrunch her nose in disgust. She stepped into the large space and made her way to the ledge, presenting herself with dignity to the residents below her. As her eyes skimmed over them, one after the other, she couldn't help but notice how lifeless they all appeared to be. Their faces barely held any colour, their skin dry. Almost similar to the filthy souls that roamed around the town with their profound freedom.

Though she felt no pity, something within her mind screamed at her to set them free. To grant them a different future, away from those souls she was quite ashamed to admit she feared.

Upon feeling their inspection as she stood all alone above them, her head high, she rose her hand tightly balled to silence their whispers.

"I, as queen of Rivandia Aesilas, deem it powerless from this day on."

Jayden came into the balcony right at her announcement and his steps fell to a stop. Silence overcame the entire place. Everyone unable to process what had even been said. Her voice had made a tone impossible to disobey. It was a tone that made his own heartbeat quicken, one that was powerful enough to enslave a whole city. One that held too many similarities to a God. Like Igujin.

This person before him wasn't the one he'd caught quivering by the fountain last night, the complete opposite. It was a person in massive control over their demeanor, their power.

"Aesilas has been a cursed land for over seven hundred years," she spoke out again, clearer this time after gaining everybody's attention with her previous statement. "It's a town that hasn't seen the light of day ever since Aurelia selfishly took that away. Her mistake is unforgivable and will always be seen as such. But she's gone now. And for that, Aurelia's traces are to be erased. Forever."