The New Us

I couldn't believe how much time passed, and how quickly. Time flies when you're busy helping out at your dad's office and hating everything. But now, things were finally getting back to normal. School started up again, and now Connor was only a few days away from going back. This was our first time alone together outside the hospital or rehab center.

I hadn't been out on a date since, well...prom night. I shook away the thought and put in my new earrings. That was then, and this was now. I grabbed my magenta void and was out the door a few minutes later.

I spent the whole end of the summer working to get my license so I could go back and forth to see Connor while he was in the rehab center. My dad and Annie were always busy. It was tough to get over my fear of driving, but I had to do it. Not just for him, but for the little bit of my imagined future I had left. If I was going to pilot a rocket, I may as well at least get started with driving a car.

I parked my car in front of Yum Yum Yogurt, also known as the Triple Y by my classmates. I could see Connor sitting by one of the picnic tables, just waiting with his hands in his lap. How could someone so strong look so feeble? He'd lost so much weight and a ton of his muscles over the summer. And yet, he was still smiling as he waited for me to get out of the car.

I slung my magenta void over my shoulder and got out of the car. I watched as Connor sat up a little higher in his wheelchair when I walked over.

"Hey, gorgeous," he said, reaching up to hug me.

"Hey," I said, bending down to hug him. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "Are you ready to go?"

"I haven't had anything that isn't hospital food in months. You have no idea how badly I'm dying for some froyo."

"Do you...want me to push you or anything?" I asked.

"I'll let you know. I'm okay for now."

"Cool. Let's go, then," I said.

I held the front door open for him and we went inside. As we grabbed our cups, I noticed that people were starting to stare. Thoughts were rattling my brain. Is it because he's so young? Are they wondering why I'm dating him?

I turned and found out the stares I was feeling were actually just two little kids on the other side of the room, who probably hadn't seen many people in a wheelchair in their short lives.

"Do you need help?" I asked Connor.

"Ayla, just relax. I got it. I'm a paraplegic, not helpless. I think I can get myself some yogurt," he said, pulling down on the lever that said "double brownie fudge."

"Okay, sorry," I said, pulling down on the lever next to him that said "French vanilla."

"Don't apologize, babe. It's a big change. I know you're just trying to help."

When our cups were full, we moved on to toppings. I chose my usual duo of chocolate cookie crumbles and gummy bears. I watched as Connor struggled to reach the cherries all the way in the back.

"How about now?" I asked.

"Please," he said.

I scooped the cherries onto his mountain of yogurt until he told me to stop. We took the cups up to the counter and he paid for us both. I was the one who worked all summer, but he insisted.

"How about a nice stroll in the park?" Connor asked, gesturing to the park across the street where we used to spend so much of our time.

"You sure you're up for it?"

"Yeah. Let's go say hi to some ducks."

I laughed and we made our way across the street. Connor held his cup between his legs and got across the street with no problem. I'd seen him working so hard all this time. He said he wanted to be a "master" of his wheelchair before heading back to school, and it looked like he definitely was. He learned a lot while he was at the rehab center.