Chapter Twenty-Five *Edited*

I didn't come this far, to only come this far

I didn't come this far, to only come this far. ~Unknown

My blood runs cold when I set eyes on the one person I wish I had never met. Even the sight of him makes my stomach turn and my heart race in a concerningly high rhythm.

"Why are you here Chase?" I question, my tone dripping with venom.

"Why else if it's not for my mate?" Chase sarcastically replies, leaning on a tree with his hood up and a menacing smile on his face.

"Cut the bullshit!" I yell frustrated, throwing my arms in the air. "You're not here because you love me, because you never did. I'd be surprised if you have ever loved anyone besides yourself! So cut the bullshit and say it!" I move closer to him and get threateningly close to his face. "Did you smell money? Power? Glory? Because you'll get none of it." I hiss at him.

"It's funny how you think you'll have a choice." He grabs me by my neck and in a swift motion he pins me to the tree. "You are coming with me. I'll use you as leverage to get what I want from your parents and I'll get rid of you after having some fun with you." He then scans my body from head to toe. "I didn't notice then, but you have a nice body. God, the things I could do to you!" He whispers in my ear.

I shudder in disgust and spit in his face. "In your dreams."

He squeezes my neck tighter in return.

I need to get him off of me and make a run back to the palace, but there's no way I can overpower him. However, I can use the element of surprise to catch him off guard. I have to do something now that I'm able to, because when he squeezes tighter, it's game over.

I close my eyes and allow my mind to travel back to the torturous years I spent under their care. Their name-calling, the sounds of their fists colliding with my flesh, or my belongings being savagely destroyed by them. Every memory intensifies the fire within me and when my arm makes contact with his hand clutching my neck, scorching heat burns him. He hisses and drops his hand, shaking it maniacally to cool it down. I take advantage of the opportunity by dashing toward the dark and uninviting forest, transforming into my wolf side with a leap in the air.

"Let me take over," Astra injects. "It'll be quicker this way."

Without a second thought, I fully surrender and pass control to Astra, who in return growls in determination and pushes harder. I stare in wonder as she dodges the branches obstructing her way, fitting perfectly and swiftly through the hollow trunks she comes across along the way. I can't help but feel envious of her abilities and aspire to be better. I might eventually be able to do what she does with a lot of training, but right now, I push that thought and let her take the lead.

An unexpected snap of a twig garners Astra's attention and she glances behind just in time to catch a glimpse of Chase's wolf side galloping in order to apprehend her.