CHAPTER XV

Callie

I woke up to someone smothering my face with light kisses. Not opening my eyes, I smiled and stayed still. 
"Wake up pretty lady. I made coffee."
At the mention of coffee, I opened both my eyes and sat up. 
"Well that was quick. Come on. I got one whole pot." Arizona said taking my hand.
"Alright alright."

Trailing behind her, I can't help but think how perfect she is. Her long soft blonde curly hair just falling perfectly. Her eyes blue as the sky yet twinkles like the stars. And that smile. That super magic smile that makes my heart flutter every time. And how my world stops and the things around her blur out. All I see is her. 
I didn't notice that I just stood there, day dreaming about her until she kept pulling me.

"Calliope!"
"Uh yes?"
"Are you alright?"
"I'm perfect. Never been better."
"I thought I lost you over there." She put her index finger on my forehead.
"You know what's in here?" I put my finger on one of my temples.
"What?"
"You. You live here in my head, rent free. You are invading my whole being Zona."
"You live in my head too." She kissed me tenderly and pulled away to give me my coffee.

I melted into the feeling of the coffee waking up my senses. 
"Hey what time are you going in today?" I asked.
"I'm gonna head out in a few minutes. And can I borrow your clothes? And also can I use your shower?"
"You don't have to ask Arizona. You own half of what's mine okay?"
"Alright. I'm gonna go in now."
"What do you wanna eat?"
"I believe I won't have time for that babe. I'll just eat there."
"Alright. And if you want underwear I have a stack of unused clean ones just below where my shirts are."
"Thanks honey!"

Minutes later, she emerged from my room, wearing my clothes.
"You look cute." I complimented.
"Thank you and I know. I look cute in anything."
Rolling my eyes, I let her be and continued on drinking my coffee.
She zipped up her boots and grabbed her bag. She then kissed me and off she went.

I sat alone in my kitchen, already missing my girlfriend. I got up and got ready for the day. I exited my apartment and went into the nearest bakery to get some donuts. When I got the donuts, I made my way into the hospital. I was greeted by the hospital staff which made my day extra. I then changed into my scrubs and placed the box of donuts in Arizona's cubby. I then texted her that after she's done with her surgery, she goes immediately in the attending's lounge for something is waiting for her.

I got into the Ortho floor and was bombarded by paperwork. I sat inside an empty room and jumped right in, just wanting the whole thing to be over. Folders and papers were stacked on the desk and the just by looking at it, I was immediately exhausted. I spent a good amount of time scribbling when I heard my phone ring. Catching a glimpse at the caller I.D., a smile crept into my face.

"Well if it isn't my amazing girlfriend."
"You bought me donuts?"
"I sure did. I hope I got the right ones."
"They're delicious. Thank you."
"Anytime lover. How was surgery?"
"It went just as planned. We're hoping for a full recovery."
"That's amazing news sunshine. Hey what do you want for lunch?"
"I just ate breakfast Calliope."
"Is it bad that I want to get you lunch too?"
"You're spoiling me."
"Because you deserve to be spoiled and the best way to a woman's heart--"
"Is to spoil her with donuts. I know that line Callie."
"I was gonna say something else but that worked. Call me when you're free for lunch okay?"
"Okay. I love you."
"I love you too."

She hung up first and I continued on the job at hand. I pulled the last folder on the table beside the finished stack and doubled my speed as I could feel me getting tired. When I was finally done, I was about to take a nap on the chair I was currently on but my pager went off, ruining the hell out of my plans. I rushed to the pit and quickly gowned.

Turns out, it was the kid who jumped off her roof again. She broke more bones  got all the rods I placed in bent and some were sticking out of her skin. Seeing Yang was the only resident around when the trauma came in, I told her to book an OR stat.

"Yang you're scrubbing in with me."
"I am?"
"Yes. I know you're all on cardio but I need all hands on deck. I could use more hands. Try getting another resident. This is gonna be a long surgery."
"Right away Dr. Torres."

We rushed to the OR the moment one was available and we scrubbed in. Avery, a new resident also came to scrub in.
We stood above the patient and I said a small prayer in my head.

"Alright. Let's begin. Ten blade."

We barely even started with the surgery when the machines started beeping.

"She's got a new murmur." Yang said checking one of the monitors.
"Page someone from Cardio now!"
"There's an air embolus in her heart."
"PAGE CARDIO!"
One of the nurses answered.
"They're on their way Dr. Torres."
"Saline please." I requested.
"Yang! What are you doing?" Avery said.
"I'm gonna fix this. It'll take 30 seconds."
Furious at her arrogance but still keeping the calm, I tried to reason out with Yang.
"Yang step away from the patient. Let's wait for Cardio."
"Dr. Torres, I am Cardio. This is gonna be a quick procedure—"
"I SAID STEP AWAY FROM THE PATIENT!"

Yang stepped away and Teddy came into the OR. I was breathing heavily out of anger.
"Dr. Torres, you have a call." One of the nurses said.
"Not now please."
"Okay Doctor."
"Yang go check on my patient. I'll handle this." Teddy said while she gowned up.

Cristina Yang left and Teddy approached the table, ready to help me.
"Dr. Torres. your phone." The nurse said again.
"I said, not now."
The nurse nodded.
"Tell me what's happening Callie. Talk to me.
"She's got an air embolus."
"Okay. On it."

After Teddy was done, she stood by just incase anything happened again. 

xxx

Hours later and I finally got out of this surgery. When I checked the time, it was already evening. I spent almost the entire day in the OR and the thought just made me wanna sleep.
I headed to the attending's lounge and changed back into my clothes. I passed by Arizona's cubby, OH SHIT! ARIZONA!
I checked my phone and was immediately worried at the amount of calls and voicemails she left. I dialed her number and to my surprise, it went straight to voicemail. I kept on calling her even on my way to my apartment, but she wouldn't pick up. I rushed in, hoping she was there, but to no luck, there was no sign of her.
I went back to the elevator to go down but it was taking too long since it was being used. I punched on the button repeatedly until it was finally up. I wasted no time getting out and ran outside, calling a cab. On the way to her house, traffic decided to swing by.

"Can't you cut? I'm in a hurry." I said while my legs couldn't stop from bouncing up and down.
"I'm sorry miss."
"Screw it. Here. Keep the change." I handed him my money and got out of the taxi.
I ran all the way to her house which was farther than I had estimated.  I bumped with several people along the way and I didn't have the time to apologize. I stopped a few times to catch my breath but my worries were getting to the best of me. I kept going and going, ran like I've never ran before until I saw her house. I was now out of breath and was panting like an old dog. I got to her porch and knocked. But before I could start knocking again, I dropped down on my knees, my vision blurring and everything went black.