Chapter 5: A quick(ie) update

It was movie night at the Raizadas. Everyone was sitting on the terrace that was transformed into a makeshift movie theatre. There were mattresses on the floor, the screen was put up against the wall, the terrace lighting was dimmed and popcorn was served, along with jalebis and pakodas, cause it was Khushi's turn at the snacks. Payal's turn to pick the movie, and as expected, she'd picked a romantic one. Arnav and Akash had groaned when she'd declared the title, whining about having to watch a "chick-flick". Mercilessly shushed by Nani, who was still reeling from Akash's previous pick of the scariest horror movie ever produced by South Korea. A "chick-flick" would atleast let her sleep without nightmares for the next week. It was slightly chilly, and Anjali had arranged for pillows and blankets for everyone.

Arnav thought that was the only saving grace of the evening, as he caught Khushi's eye after she'd put the snacks down and was walking back to find a spot to sit. He gestured with his eyes and she smiled and walked all the way to the back where he'd grabbed a seat on a small mattress plumped with pillows and a big quilt. She settled down next to him, leaning on his shoulder, as Akash cued up the movie and took his own seat beside his wife.

And then as the romance played out on the screen, with occasional laughs and "Awww"s from the rivetted audience, Arnav started his own campaign to romance his wife in the back. Khushi was still in her fancy saree after making a trip to the temple in the evening. Arnav had come back from work and the sight of her in a saree had had its usual effect on him. She was busy running around, making dinner and feeding everyone and organizing snacks for the movie night. And he was busy rubbing his palm across her waist as he asked if she needed help in the kitchen, drawing patterns on her bared back as he casually put his hand on the back of her chair during dinner, waylaying her and stealing little kisses, unseen by everyone else. Her color was high the entire evening and he was in a state of heightened anticipation, revved up by those little stolen moments. Hidden foreplay in public.

The quilt was dragged up to cover his roving hands, as he proceeded to make his wife blush with brash touches and quick kisses, trying not to draw attention from the others around. She was responding equally with little touches and squeezes. This was going to be a very, very long evening until he could drag her to bed and conclude what they started here.

"Khushi bitiya, what did you add to the pakodas today?", Nani asked after she took a bite.

"Huh?!... oh... yes... pakoda. Yes, ummmm. It's a new recipe with Jaggery, Naniji", Khushi replied, coming out of her fogged mind, "I met Roshni aunty at the temple today, and she was telling me about it. Is it okay?"

"I love it! Its very tasty. Great job Bitiya!", Nani complimented, continuing, "What did Roshni say about her grand-daughter's school problem?"

Nani's interest in the movie had waned a bit. There were no dances and no fight sequences, so Nani found a new topic of interest from Khushi's comment – gossip. And like a dutiful grand-daughter-in-law, Khushi gave her the information she asked for. Nani eventually just moved over to sit beside Khushi to gossip about other things after being shushed by the others, and glaring them down into apologies.

Arnav groaned at this interruption to what was turning out to be a really lovely "movie night", reminiscent of his adolescent fantasies of making out in a darkened movie theater. He loved his Nani, but right now he wished she were far, far away from him and Khushi. Why couldn't she go bother Payal and Akash that way? It was all Khushi's fault... she chattered too much and was much too kind... and she was like a ray of sunshine... and everyone came in to bask in her presence. Like metal drawn to magnet. But she was HIS magnet, dammit! Her work had her the entire day, he shared her with family the entire evening. The nights were his... he shouldn't have to share them too.