Chapter 3

Two days before the abduction

Aria

I woke up considerably early for a Sunday. My head was still buzzing from the events of last night and I couldn't quite process it all. The new bed I bought a couple of weeks ago, no matter how comfortable it was, didn't make it easier for me to find sleep at all.

After my brother's brutal outburst, I made it my mission to talk to him today, work things through with him and maybe get him to apologize to our mother. However, today of all days seemed to be the worst for that.

It was the anniversary of my father's passing and the hurt from having lost him ached in me like on day one. Sure, I had done a better job at working through the pain than Jacob did but I still missed him. I missed his smile; the way he would always make pancakes on a Sunday morning; his strong arms catching me when I fell and most importantly I missed the way he made Jacob happy. No one felt his loss deeper than Jacob did.

Since he passed, Jacob had not been the same. He had to step up as the man of the house way too soon and he did absolutely everything in his power to care for me and protect me. Even though no one said so, we were all incredibly grateful to him.

Especially since my mother wasn't able to care for me anymore. The loss changed her profoundly and so she threw herself into her work, into her relationships, into drinking and going out, anything but caring for us. Most days, she wasn't home until late at night and we never really saw each other. In a way, I lost both my father and my mother at once.

But Jacob was always there.

Although it must have seemed impossible, somehow he replaced the father that I lost that day. Yet it took a toll on him. He wasn't the care-free, mischievous teenager anymore. Jacob had to act like a grown-up. He did it all for me, he gave up his dreams, so he could help me achieve mine.

Even if I didn't always show it, in my heart I have been incredibly grateful for how much he cared for me. Throughout the years I began to realise that I should have done a better job at being there for him, too.

When I moved out, Jacob had no real motivation for anything anymore. Wanting to be an independent woman, I shut him out of my life. He tried to get involved all the time, but I didn't let him.

The desire to accomplish something without help blinded me from the hurt I caused my brother. Although a little too late, I began to care for his well being, too.

After thinking way too much about everything, I finally got up and went to the bathroom. Not wanting to waste any time, I got ready for the day and put on a modest black dress with golden details on the sleeves. In addition to that, I wore the gold hoop earrings Gregg got me for my birthday two months ago and I chose to wear my blonde hair in a messy braid.

Grabbing my Doc Martens, I made my way downstairs to quickly grab an apple before heading to the graveyard. Sadly, I rarely found the time to visit my father's grave but today was special, a day I felt his loss more deeply.

When I finally found a parking space, I got out and made my way towards the back of the graveyard where my father was buried with the other fallen soldiers. Pride filled me on that lovely cool morning knowing that my father did not only do his best to protect his family, but also his country.

Immediately as I reached his grave, I regretted that I did not think to buy a bouquet of flowers for him. The vase that stood there remained empty and it has probably been that way for way too long. The absence of flowers filled me with remorse and brought tears to my eyes.

I also noticed that the gravestone showed evidence of the changing seasons, leaves and dirt covered it. Still, the inscription read proudly, "Jordan Thomson, loving husband and proud father."

As I was standing there, I prayed to God that I may see him again someday. I prayed that no other family would have to go through this aching loss. I prayed that He would help me help Jacob, that He would finally break through to him and that he may finally find peace.

I stood there for a while when suddenly my eyes caught a black car driving by suspiciously slow. The windows of the car were too dark to make out the driver but cold shivers ran down my spine imagining that someone was watching me from afar. The eerie silence of the graveyard only added to my alarm.

My eyes followed the car until it was out of sight.

After a moment, however, I shook off the feeling and brushed it off to my mental state. It was the anniversary of my fathers death, after all, and graveyards always spooked me.

The car left a while ago and I didn't see a reason to be distressed anymore. My focus was on my father's gravestone again and so I said bitter goodbyes, looked up and wiped the tears from my eyes. Like always, I only allowed myself to be sad for a short moment.

Looking around, I realised how empty the graveyard was. A little disappointed that neither Jacob nor my mother showed up, I adjusted my dress, took a deep breath and made my way back to the car.

Leaving the grave again felt so final.

Back in the car, I again felt the eerie sensation of someone's eyes glued on me. The cold realisation made goosebumps rise on my arm. Somehow, I sensed that I wasn't alone but when I looked around no one was there.

Quickly, I shook my head trying to get the paranoid thoughts out of my mind and started the car. Looking in the rearview mirror, I realised how spooked I looked and I quietly laughed to myself.

"Why in the world would anyone be watching me?" I thought to myself.

So I drove off, not wasting another thought on my paranoia.

If I had only known then what would eventually happen to me in just a few days, I would have trusted my instincts and bolted and ran. With all my power and strength I would have ran far away in hopes of escaping this rotten evil.