16

Pete's pov

I wasn't angry. I wasn't upset. I was disappointed. Disappointed in myself. I felt it was my fault that Mya couldn't feel comfortable enough to tell me the truth.

I felt like a failure. I couldn't see that my best friend was struggling and I felt like I had let her down.

I didn't mean to cause a huge fight but there wasn't a way for her to understand how I was feeling without forcing an argument.

I slammed the door of her apartment running down the flight of stairs to my car before she could see me cry. Grabbing the keys from my pocket, I unlocked the car swiftly getting into the drivers seat. I rested my head against the steering wheel as I let out a loud sigh, a couple tears escaping from my eyes.

I could only hope she knew this wasn't us breaking up. I needed her to understand that in order to make this relationship work she needed to know what was best for her. And I think a little bit of separation would help her do so.

It crushed me leaving her in a state of brokenness but I knew Colson was their so she wouldn't be left alone.

For now I would give the two of us some time. It was one of the hardest things I would ever have to do, but I knew it would be worth it in the end.

Taking my head off of the steering wheel and wiping my tears, I took a deep breath before pulling out of the parking spot and into the busy streets of New York City.

My mind was everywhere as I drove. I was surprised I hadn't crashed into anything or anyone from how distracting my thoughts were.

Eventually I made it back to my apartment in the city, not wanting to deal with the hassle of going back to Staten Island.

I parked my car and quickly rushed into the lobby of the apartment building. As I waited for the elevator I looked around noticing how quiet the building was. The only person who seemed to be down here besides me, was the guy working at the check in desk.

The ding of the elevator dragged me out of trance and I stepped in, thankful that no one else had joined me.

I watched as the floor number went up until the elevator came to a stop at my floor. Walking down the quiet halls I made my way to the door of my apartment, unlocking it only to be faced with even more quiet.

The silence was taking over and all I could hear were my own thoughts. I immediately walked into my bedroom connecting my phone to the speaker that lay on the desk besides the dresser and blasting music to distract myself from my busy brain.

I sat down on the bed taking in everything that had just happened. I hoped the separation would work in my favor and not against it.

I laid down on the bed turning the music up louder, not caring if the neighbors complained about it to the landlord.

I didn't know what I was gonna do but if I let my thoughts over take me I knew it wouldn't end well.

Closing my eyes, I thought of all of the good memories with Mya as I drifted off to sleep.

-

"What the fuck were you thinking?!" I felt a shove to one of my shoulders jolting me awake from my deep sleep.

"Yo what the hell?" I said rubbing my eyes finally noticing Colson who was towering above me.

"Are you a fucking idiot? Oh no I don't need you to answer that I already know." He said angrily gritting his teeth.

"Is this about Mya?" I asked sitting up on the bed.

"Yes this is about Mya you dick head." He said harshly before hitting me in the shoulder again.