7 | Entry 2 - Replaced & Torn

Harry's first day of classes seemed to be a success. After Ron and Harry found themselves in the halls, laughing at the new students trying to find their way to class, Professor McGonagall lectured them and told them to join Slughorn's potions class for their free period.

Despite hating potions, Harry found himself succeeding for once in the class. After borrowing a used book from Slughorn's cupboard, it seemed to be extremely useful. He used the notes to make a perfect potion of Draught of the Living Dead, which earned him a vial of Liquid Luck. His potion was even better than Hermione's, which she was not very pleased with.

At the end of the day, Harry dragged Ron and Hermione into the empty Gryffindor common room to tell them more about what he saw yesterday in Astrid's diary.

"So, what you are saying, is that this journal sucked you into some sort of memory of Astrid's from her first year, and you saw Sirius?" Ron asked, still confused about the whole situation.

"Sort of, I don't know it was weird," explained Harry, "All of the sudden after I said the word, smoke filled the room, and everything changed. It was as if it was her exact memory from the day in the diary."

While Harry was trying to explain to Ron about the book, Hermione felt herself distrusting this book more every second.

"Harry, doesn't this sound familiar to you? The diary, the memories, what if it's the same as Tom Riddle's journal? You heard what Sirius said, Astrid wasn't exactly on our side of the war. She could have been a death eater. Who knows what curses this diary could have? I think it's best if you report it to Dumbledore"

Despite Hermione making an awful lot of sense, Harry refused to take her advice.

"No!" Harry burst out of his seat. "Dumbledore was the one who gave it to me, I'm sure he would have checked to see if there was some dark magic around it. Besides, it's not like she's writing back to me in the diary."

"Not yet anyway," mumbled Ron as he looked into the fireplace. After his sarcastic comment, Hermione found herself hitting Ron across the head with the book before dragging the boys down to dinner.

-

Later that night, Harry debated on whether or not he should continue to read the diary. Hermione wasn't wrong when she said it acted similar to Tom Riddle's journal. But Harry couldn't stop the burning curiosity that was growing inside of him.

Once all the boys in the dormitory fell asleep, Harry grabbed his invisibility cloak and snuck out of the room. After walking out of the Gryffindor common room, Harry went to the one place he knew no one would find him: The Room of Requirement.

After pacing by the wall, Harry walked into the Room of Requirement and was met with a room he hadn't seen before. The room was plain. It had a couch, a fireplace, and some equipment he assumed could be used for studying and practicing spells.

As Harry sat down on the couch that was in front of the fireplace, he opened the diary and ran his fingers across the pages. Harry didn't know when he would have the chance to read again without Hermione and Ron noticing. So before reading the next entry, Harry decided to read as many as possible.

-

September 5, 1971

Dear Diary,

I got sorted into Slytherin, as expected. The first week hasn't been all too bad, but I wish Sirius would talk to me. Whenever I try to talk to him, he avoids me. So much for promising to stick together.

Since Sirius got sorted into Gryffindor, he has been hanging out with a boy named James Potter that he met on the train. He no longer hangs out with me as much as we used to. I assume it's a part of his act of rebellion against our parents.

Anyhow, I wish I was back home. I may not completely enjoy my parent's company, but I would love to be with Sirius and Regulus again.

A.B.

-

Harry, once again, read out the word "Ostendo" from the bottom of the paper and started to see his environment change.

Instead of appearing in Grimmauld Place like the last time, Harry saw that he was in the Great Hall. He watched as Astrid sat at the Slytherin table while writing in her diary. She was all alone until she was approached by two other students wearing Slytherin robes.

"Oh, Astrid stops sulking. Sirius shouldn't be talking with you. You would just get in trouble with your parents," said a petite, auburn-haired girl who sat down across from her while a boy with black hair sat next to Astrid. The girl had captivating green eyes that boys seemed to feel themselves fall into. The boy, on the other hand, had soft, honey eyes that lured people in with their warmth.

"Just because it may make my life easier doesn't mean I have to like it, Ember," says Astrid as she shut her journal and grabbed a piece of toast from the table.

"Ember, give her a break. Her brother has forgotten about her. In a matter of four days, Sirius has already replaced Astrid with a new best friend" said the boy sitting next to Astrid as he gestured at the Gryffindor table.

Harry followed the students' eyes and found Sirius sitting at the Gryffindor table with a group of friends. One of Sirius's friends had a striking resemblance to young Harry Potter. The only difference was his brown eyes. This was the first time Harry had ever seen his father young. All of the photos he ever saw were when his father was older and with Lily.

Everyone, including Harry, could tell how close Sirius and James looked, despite knowing each other for four days. When Harry looked back at Astrid, he noticed how glum her face looked. He couldn't help but feel pity for her.

"It's alright Kai, I'll get over it. Potter can have Sirius for all I care. I still have Regulus, and that's all that matters"

Although Astrid wouldn't admit it, it hurt that Sirius had forgotten about her so quickly. He acted as if she didn't even exist. So much for blood being thicker than water.

After the trio left the great hall to go study in the library, Harry looked back at Sirius and his father one last time. He noticed that Sirius's face grew cold as he noticed her walking out of the room. Harry could only guess that this moment was only the start of what would soon become a torn family.