03 - Just Sit Wherever

The past few weeks has been going well for me surprisingly, Mondays specifically if I may point out. Miles and I have become friends after the random talks at the balcony once the class was finished. We were the ones to leave the class at last most of the time, considering how my mom was always late to pick me up and he had to wait after calling an Uber to go home. However I could tell he didn't mind it at all, rather he seemed to enjoy my company seeing how he was smiling all the time.

"What a rare sight."

The teacher's voice startled me from behind and I turned to her with a polite smile. It was one of the days on which I came to the class earlier than usual, early enough to spare some time for revision too on that particular day. I was the only student in the class even though it was time to start, wondering if or when the others might come. Mrs. Moore put down her teaching material on her desk and looked at the wall clock, a frustrated sigh escaping her lips.

"These kids need to come on time honestly." She muttered almost to herself and I stayed silent. "Let's just wait for a few minutes to see if they'll come." She said and I nodded my head, turning to the door as if someone will appear if I looked. "If you're waiting for Anna, she said she won't be able to come because apparently she's not well."

"Oh... Okay." I tried to sound disappointed at her news. Maybe Mrs. Moore thought I was waiting for Anna to come so she said that but I didn't say anything else and just looked here and there while we waited for the other students to come.

"Teacher we're here!!"

Alex's voice boomed across the room loudly making Mrs. Moore and me both turn to the door, him standing there with a mischevious smile on his face. He came and took a seat in the second row, right behind me.

"Where do you think you're sitting Alex? Come to the front, there are many empty seats."

The teacher pointed to the three unoccupied seats beside me to the right and Alex's face fell instantly. I knew how much he hated the front row because of how he always whined about it. While he was having trouble dragging his feet to the front we heard another pair of footsteps at the door.

"Oh there you are Miles. Come quickly and sit." Mrs. Moore said a bit sternly to which Miles just sheepishly smiled and nodded his head before heading to the front row where I was sitting.

"Where do you wanna sit?" Alex whispered to his friend.

"Just sit wherever." Miles replied nonchalantly, glancing at the teacher who was now getting ready to start the lesson.

Alex came straight to the seat beside me with a big smile on his face. I chuckled at him and opened my writing book, my eyes darting to the boys again upon an obvious fake cough. I looked between the two of them, trying to understand why Alex was staring at Miles with a betrayed expression while Miles was just having a look that could kill. He gestured for the seat next to the one where Alex was standing now and flashed a creepy smile.

"You said to sit wherever you hypocrite."

Alex muttered to himself and just went to the other seat, still mumbling some complaints about the wordless conversation he had just had with Miles while the said boy seemed very pleased with the situation. He came and sat on the seat next to me proudly, flashing a smile at me too. Not a creepy one like he showed to Alex though, this one was way more heart-fluttering than that, obviously in a good way.

"Okay let's start! Finally!!" Mrs. Moore annouced and we got to work right away, having some small talks and cracking jokes once in a while during the work. No other students showed up after that and I actually liked it that way.

"Aah Alex you wrote three times two equals five and bossed me around to change my answer now I have to redo the whole thing! If only there weren't people Alex, if only there weren't people. You're lucky Summer is here."

Miles threatened his friend playfully, trying to include me in their conversation too. Alex was also having a hard time containing his laughter at his own silly mistake.

"It's a very common mistake among students okay? Plus, it's not that embarrassing compared to the one you told me about getting paint on yourㅡ"

"Shhh let's just quietly finish work okay?!" Miles cut the boy off in the middle, his ears turning red suddenly.

"Why? Are you shy?" Alex wriggled his eyebrows and winked at me playfully.

"You don't need to tell that in front of a girl you know." Miles flashed a nervous smile at his friend.

"She's just a friend though, it's not like you want to impresㅡ"

"Okay that's enough time children!" The teacher came towards the whiteboard.

While I finished up the last question and looked to my right to see if the boys were done as well I saw how Miles was having a playfully murderous expression while Alex just winked at him and gave a knowing look, which kind of reminded me of Nova prompting me to talk about my day at this particular class.

"You three, focus!"

Mrs. Moore tapped the table seeing how all three of us weren't paying attention to her and were in our own little worlds. We quickly turned to her and listened as she went on explaining the questions one by one, checking our answers along the way. After that exercise was done and dusted she gave us another one, earning a prolonged groan from Alex as usual but she was not having it and went out of the class and downstairs mumbling she'll be back after searching for some files. We were drowned in a bit of a silence for a moment, working as fast as we could to finish the work and just relax before the teacher came back.

"Are you done already??" Miles asked in a shocked tone when I put away the pen after a few minutes. I nodded with a smile as a reply. "Then, would you mind showing me how you did the the fifth question? I can't understand what it says." His lips grew into a innocent wide grin and I chuckled to myself before guiding my eyes over to the fifth question.

"You just need to create an angle bisector here and here and find the midpoint. And thenㅡ"

"And then take the length from the midpoint to one side and draw the circle?" He asked me expectantly.

"Yup, you got it." I confirmed.

"Oh wow so that's how you do it! I was confused on how to find the midpoint. Thanks!!"

He chuckled sweetly and I found myself doing the same, knowing very well the reason for it. I realized that he was starting to spark something different in me and honestly, it's not that bad.

Maybe this'll end well...

[A/N]
Stories are the best way to escape from a frustrating day and no one can change my mind