Chapter 5 - Why Couldn't It Be Real?

Kokichi's POV

As I shoved Shuichi out of the way the cuts on my arm reopened. Blood trickled down my sleeves and onto my hand. I couldn't hold back my emotions back and tears formed in the corner of my eyes.

did i shove him that hard..? did i hurt him?? i hope not.. I guess ill just have to check next time im with him.. I thought to myself.

made my way back to my room. As I laid down my nurse came in and handed me a paper.

School Rules and Important Information!

Greetings to all Hope's Peak students!

On February 2nd (tomorrow) everyone will be returning back to school! It is NOT a killing game. It is regular school.
The rules will be listed down below.

1. The school is 23 stories high, the only people who have access to the rooftop are school staff.
2. You will have dorms, students may NOT share dorms unless directed otherwise.
3. You may wear whatever you please as long as it doesn't go against dress code
4. You will have assigned seats in your classes.
5. There will be groups for different students. (For example if you were in the first killing game, you will be in group 1, if you were in the 7th killing game, you will be in group 7, etc.)

Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a good time at regular school everyone.

I looked up at the nurse with tears in my eyes, I didn't want to go. Not at all. What if I got seated next to Shuichi or Maki OR KAITO? The nurse ignored my sorrow and left, I could tell she was annoyed at how weak I was.

I crumpled up the paper and threw it on the floor, tears rolling down my cheeks as I softly sobbed. I raised my voice and while I was lost in my own thoughts I forgot the rooms weren't soundproof like the ones in the killing game.

"Why Couldn't the killing game be REAL?! WHY ME?? WHY DID I GO THROUGH SO MUCH JUST FOR MY DEATH TO NOT BE REAL?"

I ended up having a mental breakdown right there, alone with no one to help me, but I was used to it by now. I was never helped as a kid, my parents always treated me so poorly. They would beat me since I wasn't even supposed to happen. I was nothing but a mistake.

Just once more I decided to whisper under my breath, "Why Couldn't it be Real?"

Shuichi's POV

I returned back into the cafeteria and everyone had terrified looks in their eyes and in one quick movement everyone was swarming around me asking questions.

"Did Kokichi hurt you?!"
"Did you and Kokichi get in a fight?"
"What happened with you and Kokichi?"
"Tell me all the details!"
"What did Kokichi say to you?"

"U-uh-uhm- Please give me space!" I finally said. Everyone went back to their seats.

"Why do you guys look so scared?" Miu immediately opened her mouth and shouted,
"Kaito watched Kokichi shove you out of the way and apparently Kokichi was crying and blood was coming from his arm." Kaito chimed in.

"Yeah there was quite a lot of blood, whatever you did to him must have been much worse than me because it seemed like he was bleeding pretty harshly. I'm proud of you sidekick! You finally came to your senses!" He exclaimed. I was very confused.

I didn't even hurt him? Or maybe I did on accident.. he did shove me a bit hard, maybe he hurt himself in the process by bumping his arm into something? I decided to stop thinking about it for now and decided to actually eat my breakfast.

After eating I decided to go back to my room, but as I passed Kokichi's door I heard a small thud and I put my ear up against the door and listened. I could barely hear it but I could've sworn I heard him say

"Why Couldn't it be real?" My heart dropped. Was he talking about the killing game? I knew he was evil but I didn't think he wanted us dead that bad.
(quick A/N, thats not what Kokichi meant at all, Shuichi just misunderstood what he meant because that was the only thing he heard from his room)

Angered, I went back to my room, my hands were now in fists. I don't think I'd ever been this mad at Kokichi, I just couldn't believe he would wish death upon us. what a fucking asshole. I decided to read a book instead of sit there on my bed angry.

Not too long after a nurse came in and handed out papers informing us about going back to school. My heart fluttered knowing I'd be able to spend more time with Kaede, completely forgetting about Kokichi on accident.

849 words! Sorry for the delayed upload! I meant to publish this yesterday but Wattpad kept crashing, its back to normal again tho!