Chapter 3 - Fireheart

5 days. For 5 days I perched in the chamber's eaves above Aelin's iron box watching over her, unable soothe her into oblivion only able to seethe at Cairn's cruel taunts.

Until one day. As I finally saw tears roll down her face onto that abomination of an iron mask in defeat, I felt an soft invisible presence appear.

A wave of cool water seemed to sweep through the room reaching for  Aelin "Fireheart" it whispered.

Evalin. The name rocked through my mind, I knew she was here. Her loving motherly voice spoke through  the veils of worlds to her daughter "Fireheart, why do you cry ?"

"You have been so strong for so long, but just a little longer."

"You do not yield"
"You do not yield"
"You do not yield"

Aelin's tears paused, her face shining with wonder as she listened to Evalin Ashryvver's voice . Love soon turned to  rage and frustration and desperation. Confused as to what was real and what Maeve had planted in her mind. I felt  the cool water ebb away, fading back through the veil. The calm light disappearing.

No, she could not give up, I could save her, she would be lost so soon.

Maeve be damned. I plummeted down to reach her, wings beating I flew level with the narrow slit in the box . Her turquoise and gold eyes snapped to my dark ones, her tears shining brightly.

Softly I cooed, hooting gently desperately trying to express myself
Fireheart Fireheart
My hoots grew louder turning to screeches. I started to beat my wings against the box in time with them.
You do not yield
You do not yield
You. Do. Not. Yield.

Determination and understanding replaced the desperation in her eyes and she began pound her fist against the iron in time with me , over and over giving herself wholly to it- the song of fire and darkness flared through her echoing throughout the palace.

I heard a loud crash and approaching footsteps that caused me to pause, swooping up and away out of sight but Aelin did not stop- the pounding became a battle cry of fury.

Cairn appeared, furiously shouting orders to surrounding guards to contain Aelin but she did not stop, right up until he drugged her with gloriella and she slipped into unconsciousness. The metal of her cage dented and warped beyond recognition.

..........

Far away, on a dark hilltop Rowan Whitehorn froze.

Scanning the starry skies it erupted in him and roared. Like a hammer on an anvil over and over he heard her bellow of fury and defiance through the taut mating bond.

He gathered the others quickly,  forming a plan to draw Maeve out and away from Doranelle. Where he now knew Aelin was.