Chapter Eleven

Landon's POV

My morning proves tedious. I have a meeting with my key account directors and the ten directors are sitting around the boardroom table eager to tell me about their workload.

I turn to Andrew Contius, the director responsible for the Stone Publishing account.

"How is everything going with the new book?"

"Great," he says confidently. "My team have been working solidly on this for the last month. We presented two possible avenues yesterday. They went with the more indie route, but I think that is fitting for the book and its author."

I nod, leaning forward. Stone Publishing has always been an advantageous account and had really been a key account when I started the company, so I take particular interest in what he is saying.

It was a risk giving the account to Andrew.

He's young compared to many of the directors, although barely a few years younger than myself. He is good though and has fantastic instincts, something I noticed when he interned for me during his final year at university several years ago.

I saw something of myself in him, and it seemed like a good investment, and he's proven me right countless times.

"The face of publishing is changing," Andrew is telling us. "Mr Stone has taken a particular interest in this book. The name of the author is to remain a secret until the release date. That's part of their production angle to generate excitement. So, our entire campaign is to be mysterious and enticing. Secret events with handwritten invitations... secret notes at the bottom of empty billboards. It's an indie murder mystery, previously self-published, and just like the reader will be wondering who wrote the book, they will wonder who murdered the girl."

I grin.

"Sounds interesting."

"YouTube videos, advertising gifs – we're going to go viral on this. We're going to completely take over social media."

Andrew gives me a smirk; he knows his idea is good.

"And Mr Stone said that he has another book for us. He says this one is by an author friend of his daughter Aurora."

That really catches my attention. I act as uninterested as I can, politely checking my watch.

"His name is Theo Pollard, and he's just finished writing a book on the cost of tourism to the environment and local wildlife."

I glance at my phone. I really want to call her.

Pushing the thought away, I step to my feet.

I don't even have her number and I don't think she'll respond well if I get it for myself, I think to myself as I recall her reaction to me knowing her address this morning.

I fucked up.

I am so used to just doing what I want that I hadn't even considered that it wasn't the polite thing to do; it was just the easiest... That's not true Landon.

It wasn't easy. You asked Henry for the address because you didn't want to waste a second of your time with her on meaningless trivia.

The easy thing to have done would have been to ask for her fucking address.

"Great everyone. Keep it up."

As I get to my feet, one of the directors catches my attention, Louisa Kennley.

"Sir, can I speak to you in private?"

"Sure." I gesture for her to follow me out of the boardroom and into my adjourning office.