Chapter Seventeen

Aurora's POV

"Aileen?"

I've tried calling her several times, and she hasn't answered. Yet again, I get her voicemail.

"Hi, I'd really like to talk to you. Look can you call me back, please."

Tallulah looks up from where she's watching TV.

"Still hasn't answered then?"

"No." I'm trying not to get angry. My family have been keeping secrets from me; Aileen's secrets. I know I'm probably being selfish. "I just feel sad that I wasn't able to be there for her when she needed me most."

"You just want to be her big sister," she says gently as her phone buzzes with an incoming text message.

She glances at the screen before turning off the backlight and putting her phone down on the coffee table. When her phone buzzes again she ignores it completely. That's not like Lou. She's perhaps the politest texter I've ever known. She always replies, almost immediately.

I nod.

"I feel like I've failed her."

"You didn't know." Tallulah sighs as she wraps me in an embrace. "You aren't responsible for that."

"Are you okay, Lou?" I can't help myself asking. Tallulah is still looking thinner than normal, and I'm worried about her.

"Yeah, of course." She smiles, but it's not a real Tallulah smile. It's brittle and only skin deep. It doesn't touch her eyes.

My phone rings and I jump to my feet, answering it.

"Aileen?"

"No darling." It's my mother.

"Mother," I say with a sigh. I'm disappointed.

"Were you expecting a call from your sister?"

"I've been trying to get a hold of her all morning."

"She's not answering?" She sounds concerned. I'm cross though. You'd think she'd be used to it by now.

"She very rarely does." I try not to sound bitter.

There's silence on the line.

"I was phoning to see if you would like to go shopping," she says eventually.

I'm surprised. I shouldn't be. My mother loves shopping.

"You need a dress for the fundraiser," she pushes.

"Can I bring Tallulah along?" I ask because truth be told, I don't want to be alone with my mum right now.

"Of course, darling. Will Tallulah and Cameron be joining us this weekend?"

I look over to Tallulah and she nods her head.

"I'll have to ask Cameron, but Tallulah would love to come."

"Will she be bringing a date?" There's a split second before she adds, "Will you be bringing a date?"

"No," I tell her. "No date."

"That's a shame darling."

My mother will not be happy until both myself and Aileen are happily married off to nice, preferably wealthy men.

"Should I pick you up in twenty minutes?"

"Yes, please," I say before hanging up. My phone beeps and I pull up an email from Landon. It makes me smile. I quickly type out a reply.