Love Empathy

Moonlight slid across Wei Ying's features as the clouds moved away. The light in his eyes was dimmed with a faraway look.

Lan Zhan ached seeing Wei Ying drift away. His hands tightend around his love's waist reassuring himself that Wei Ying was here and yet a small throb in his chest said otherwise.

"What are you thinking?"

Ever since they had come back to GuSu, he had seen Wei Ying drifting away too many times. No matter how much he loved Wei Ying, he couldn't help feel their dynamic had gotten worse after the confession instead of getting better. Their cultivation, however, had gotten much better.

Wei Ying dodged, "what are you thinking?"

Lan Zhan looked into Wei Ying's smiling and curious eyes. He did not push.

"Our cultivation had gotten better."

Seeing Wei Ying's lips switch with mischief made his heart drum. He felt small hands on his waist, gliding up, slowly, pausing every now and then brush against his arms, his shoulders, neck.

"Why is that?" His suggestive tone churned Wangji's gut and heat rose in his body.

Wei Ying hands were still brushing his cheek, his temples and finally gliding down his hair.

"Don't tease." Sitting in the middle of mountains, listening to the sound of the waterfall, bathing in the moonlight, Wangji was already trying hard to keep himself together from exploring every inch of Wei Ying. His man smiled in response, still feeling mischievous but turned around to lay his head back into the crook of Lan Wangji's neck.

Lan Zhan's hand tightened around Wei Ying's waist. 

"What are you thinking?" he asked again.

"16 years is a long time." Lan Wangji had not expected a response, let alone this response.

"I was gone 16 years Lan Zhan. 16 years, I don't know where my soul was. You loved me for 16 years, even before. How much you must have suffered I can't even bear to think. For me, from me, because of me." 

Wei Ying turned around, his hand glided over where the Qishen brand seal was printed on his chest. Lan Wangi knew that his husband understood that it had something to do with him, even if Wangji never told the story himself.

"How did this become?" Wei Ying whispered, kissing him, through the clothes, where the brand mark lay hidden.

"Why did you not move on?"

"It cannot be anyone but you." Lan Wangji repeated, felt his heart flutter at the words Wei Ying spoke to him that day, the feeling filled him so fully that it would spill over. 

"Lan Zhan. I want to know. All those years, while I was peacefully drifting into nothingness, no memory at all, all the suffering that you had to go through, I want to know."

Lan Zhan didn't speak for a few moments, "It is in the past."

"I have been thick and clouded enough not to notice and remember the past, but I want to know."

"Might not like what you see." Lan Zhan didn't know how to say what he wanted to say.

"It's okay. If it's about you, it's okay. I like everything about you."

So many emotions stormed in Lan Zhan's eyes and he felt like his Wei Ying felt each one of them. Was it possible for his heart to burst?

Wei Ying laid out his hands in front of him, urging Lan Wangji to take them. Empathy. He was ashamed of the lack of discipline that his memories contained. He was afraid of what Wei Ying might think of him. He wanted to know how Wei Ying felt. He wanted to know all that was in his love's head too. Not only did he understand why Wei Ying wanted to know these things, but he himself wanted to know.